Cotton's wisdoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

I am currently reading one of old Cotton books, the one named 'This Game of Golf'. Lot's of great pics and wisdom there from one of the greatest golf swing theorists ever -- but I would like to bring some quotes that, first, validates latest Project 1.68's conclusions and, second, share some light on a RoC/release discussion. Here they are -- bold sentences of my choice as specially important:

"The wrists can work in many ways: they can help to combine a push with the flick, or a roll with the flick. It is difficult to define exactly the part they play in the golf swing and to separate their action for analysis, but from observation I should say that they work best when they combine with arms and body to form a smooth action"

" Players who use a minimum of wrist-work -- those who push the ball with a stiff-armed action -- can be well advised to acquire a flick of the wrists; this can be done by hitting the ball with less follow-through during practice. "Hitting and stopping" -- pupils of the "cotton School" will know this expression.
Those who whip the ball, and use therefore only a wrist-flick, can build their game by cultivating an arm swing -- a push, in fact. I have found during teaching that players go into these two classes and few combine immediately the flick and the push to the best advantage to get the maximum results from their physical attributes.

"To bring the club-face square to the ball at impact, and at the required speed, is the aim of every player, and we go to the trouble of learning a system in order to effect this. At present the only way to get sufficient power into a full shot is to use a turning and flicking action. The square face "all the way back and through" extends in general only to putts and short runs-up. There are players who grip the club with the left hand on the top of the shaft, showing four knuckles, but they only shut the face of the club because of the grip, and not because left wrist is holding the face square to the ball all the way, as it were. This would, however, happen in an extended hinged left-wrist action all the way to the top."

"I am sure that a gradual squaring up of the face on the way down is safer than a quick unwinding hit, and so, as I have advised begore, a combination hit and push is preferable. Most succesful players use the hingeing of the left wrist more than they imagine.
"Players who use a snap turn of the wrists usually hit a long ball as they are late hitters, but they are apt to misjudge this turn when under pressure. I prefer to see a player use some proportion of push in his shots when he has to produce winners."

Now there are presented some great pics with his own using crossover release signed with "Late all the way and a hasty rush of the right wrist to catch up. A photo of myself showing an incorrect wrist action".
The first big pic on the book is great Cotton's slap-hinge "flick" mixed with push release shown post-impact -- I am sure Brian would like it.
a1nx9h.jpg

Cheers

I love henry Cotton's stuff; he has taught us a lot, and we owe him a debt of gratitude for what he left behind. Jim Hardy, one of the guys I learned from, always credits Henry Cotton for much of what he learned.

I've been through Cotton's books many times over the years. He was a keen observer of the techniques of his colleagues, and if something they did worked for them, no matter how strange it looked, Cotton would be the first to say "give it a try if you want, but it may not produce the intended results for you."

Cotton learned the game with the small British ball. Consequently, he was much more of a hands player than the Americans of the time who needed to subdue their hand action in order to keep the larger American ball from ballooning. Almost no small ball players could switch to the big ball, but the big ball players could adapt to the small ball without difficulty. South African small ball player Bobby Locke was one exception to the rule.

Old Tom

That's a terrific book Dariusz - I hope you enjoy it.

At least 3 things stand out about that book for me.

1. Is how astute and detailed Cotton was as an observer of other players. You get the impression he must have been an absolute sponge when he went out to the States to play.

2. He loved technology - and I believe took a lot of the photos that appear in that book. I think his enthusiasm, for the game and for communication, comes right off the page. Hard to imagine any modern player, with the possible exception of Elkington, giving such good copy.

3. Priceless commentaries on his contemporaries.

Although I hesitate to bring this up, Cotton was clearly an admirer of Hogan - but there is little or no hint in how Cotton writes about him that tallies up with the many myths. From recall, Cotton describes a very strong, tenacious and smart competitor - rather than any sort of ball-striking machine. Coming from a contemporary source with such good credentials, I put a lot of store by Cotton's account.

Although I hesitate to bring this up, Cotton was clearly an admirer of Hogan - but there is little or no hint in how Cotton writes about him that tallies up with the many myths. From recall, Cotton describes a very strong, tenacious and smart competitor - rather than any sort of ball-striking machine. Coming from a contemporary source with such good credentials, I put a lot of store by Cotton's account.

Oh dear God, you've done it now. Why not just call him "scrappy?"

He sounds like he's describing Fred Funk. ;)

I often think how much fun it would be to bring three or four of these old-timers back to life, parachute them into a room full of Trackman, MATT system, force plates, etc. show them how they work and then record the next twelve hours...

Wouldn't that be a great trip. We'll take a Trackman, a gross of Brylcreem, enough rough shag to build a bonfire and a couple of hundred gallons of sherry, and the old boys will give us the keys to the Kingdom...

Dariusz J.

That's a terrific book Dariusz - I hope you enjoy it.

At least 3 things stand out about that book for me.

1. Is how astute and detailed Cotton was as an observer of other players. You get the impression he must have been an absolute sponge when he went out to the States to play.

2. He loved technology - and I believe took a lot of the photos that appear in that book. I think his enthusiasm, for the game and for communication, comes right off the page. Hard to imagine any modern player, with the possible exception of Elkington, giving such good copy.

3. Priceless commentaries on his contemporaries.

I agree 100% with you, Birly. It's the most universal and complete book on golf I've ever seen.

As regards Hogan, yes, but we must remember that the book was written when Hogan was in the process of transforming, i.e. before Hogan's best swing (Cotton's book was edited in 1949). Funny thing is, there are little 30 chapters dedicated to the best golfers of Cotton's choice and in the one dedicated to Hogan, Cotton describes how old timers and great ballstrikers such as Abe Mitchell and himself wanted to play controlled fade almost all the time, but is sure that if Hogan masters this goal he's capable to controll his draws on command as well -- which turned to be true very soon from there.

Wouldn't that be a great trip. We'll take a Trackman, a gross of Brylcreem, enough rough shag to build a bonfire and a couple of hundred gallons of sherry, and the old boys will give us the keys to the Kingdom...

I strongly believe that if you have some of the older ballstriking masters you'll see some crazy numbers that nowadays only Furyk can perhaps match.

Cheers

Cottton on Hogan

"Although I hesitate to bring this up, Cotton was clearly an admirer of Hogan - but there is little or no hint in how Cotton writes about him that tallies up with the many myths. From recall, Cotton describes a very strong, tenacious and smart competitor - rather than any sort of ball-striking machine. Coming from a contemporary source with such good credentials, I put a lot of store by Cotton's account."

Cotton commented a lot more about Hogan in his next great book published in 1959 "My Golfing Album". He had high praise for Hogan's physical strength, determination, work ethic, and self-awareness, but I think he stood in awe of Snead's pure talent.

Cotton always insisted that great golfers needed strong trained hands and fingers. He said that his hands were very strong but not in the same league as Hogan and Snead. He opined that the best women could not match the best men in playing the game due to the wide difference in hand strength.

Old Tom

Page 67 from "My Golfing Album": "I saw Ben Hogan hit 20 successive balls onto this green (in the accompanying photo) with his brassie. This was as great a stretch of consistent striking I have ever seen. It was 1957, when he was already finding scoring more difficult, bit it was not his long game which was at fault".

Dariusz J.

Page 67 from "My Golfing Album": "I saw Ben Hogan hit 20 successive balls onto this green (in the accompanying photo) with his brassie. This was as great a stretch of consistent striking I have ever seen. It was 1957, when he was already finding scoring more difficult, bit it was not his long game which was at fault".

It's a great quote you've brought, mate. Nevertheless, I believe some will argue that he hit only 5 greens, then someone told about it to Cotton, he multiplied it by 2 when writing a book and, finally, the editor said -- "what the heck, let's double it to 20". Sad.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.