Could somebody please explain this

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some questions about the follow through. Should the left wrist break down and start to cup in the follow through?? I have seen some videos by Michael Jacobs and it seems like he keeps his left wrist flat in the follow through. I don't know if it is just me but I have a very hard time keeping my wrist flat in this portion of the swing. My right arm wants to take over and I get a flat right wrist and a cupped left wrist. Is this normal?? Please clarify.

natep

New
After impact I dont believe it matters what your left wrist does. I've seen it suggested by some that the angle of the left and right wrist at impact should be maintained throughout the followthrough. Personally, I dont see how it's even possible unless you're just hitting a little chip shot.

Look at different down the line videos of these players and you will see cupped left wrists in the followthoughs.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOFNJR0rtnk[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7CZM9EkR_8[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjSbw3eE-bg[/media]

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I have some questions about the follow through. Should the left wrist break down and start to cup in the follow through?? I have seen some videos by Michael Jacobs and it seems like he keeps his left wrist flat in the follow through. I don't know if it is just me but I have a very hard time keeping my wrist flat in this portion of the swing. My right arm wants to take over and I get a flat right wrist and a cupped left wrist. Is this normal?? Please clarify.

Virtually every good player bends their left wrist soon after impact.

Ironically, my left wrist stays pretty straight all the way through to my finish but I don't think it's necessary.

I thought these videos are great examples of pros flipping at impact. Makes me feel a little better.:p

Christopher

Okay... So after impact does it feel like the clubhead passes the hands very quickly because that is what it feels like to me.

Correction, they flip POST-impact. ;)

I went back and had another look, Tiger's swing yes I agree but with VJay and Michelle they both flip. VJay's is dramatic and well before impact. The thing I got from COFF video was that a well timed flip at impact is still a flip.

Christopher

I went back and had another look, Tiger's swing yes I agree but with VJay and Michelle they both flip. VJay's is dramatic and well before impact. The thing I got from COFF video was that a well timed flip at impact is still a flip.

Christopher

Sadlowski is also slightly bend at impact with a bent left elbow as well. :eek:

i think a concern like this can be answered, with the help of someone experienced or a good teacher, in 5 mins or less:)

do whatever that makes the ball go straight!

many people do not "flip" because they cannot control the ball. In fact, of all people, tiger woods had made that very clear in an article in which he said, in a nutshell, that others flip but he does not because he wants to control the ball better.

incidentally, vj was once tested in a reaction time experiment: every time a click was heard in a earphone, he pushed a button immediately. comparing with other pros, vj has one of the best reaction time. (born talent?)

i think a more productive way to go further with this topic is to look at the straightest hitters on the tours and see if they flip...who are they on pga?

natep

New
I just found this. Check out this guy's release.

Ben Hogan said he was the best player he ever saw tee to green. 20 PGA wins and 14 top tens in majors.

Wild Bill Mehlhorn:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg7Gr-93IRo[/media]

Looks like he's pulling the left arm back ala Sadlowski

I read something by Mike Maves who's been researching Mehlhorn and he stated that this left arm/wrist maneuver is
definitely by design.

I think it's cool how the more I study golf the more I find out that it's all been done before, a long time ago.

Last edited:
Who says a flip is bad? and could it actually make a golfer play better?

I think the term flip needs a Manzella overhaul..... :confused:

The left wrist bending is not a bad thing at all in any golf swing, it is not something that should be done or stopped consciously, but be the result of good things happening in the golf swing. If you "flip" in a bad way, you need to work on the things in your swing that stop you needing to flip.

Some people do naturally have less bend through impact. In a good player done well it can create a more mashed impact/better impact sound/pretty looking flight. Overdone or with too much lean can stop a player reaching their potential.

Should you have no left wrist bend if you pivot stall?

You MUST have no left wrist bend if you like hitting the big ball first or missing the small ball. ;)

ej20

New
A flip is when the left wrist breaks down before impact.Timing the flip is where you flip but time it such that the flip occurs just after impact.A tough way to play consistent golf in my opinion but worked for Wild Bill.

You can probably count the number of tour players in the world on one hand who uses this type of release.

I doubt any teacher including Brian would deliberately teach that.

Dariusz J.

It's the slap-hinge release type, one of the three release types Sir Henry Cotton described in the 40-ies. And it is, IMO, the most natural one (subconscious adding power by releasing the dominant arm wrist leverage) that would require no teaching - one needs a good pivot and well-organized (timed) CoG shift.
It would rather require learning to get rid of such a release type if needed.

Cheers

ej20

New
That is the kind of release used if one wanted to play a flop shot or hit it high over trees if one was lucky enough to have a fluffy lie.Perhaps back in Bill's days fairways were not mowed as tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.