Count Yogi Hand Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

natep

New
I came across this thumbing through my copy of Count Yogi's "Five Simple Steps to Perfect Golf", and thought some of you might enjoy checking it out. Its difficult to determine hand path from old video, but here's a stroboscopic photo of his swing. Interestingly, Yogi used to say that he hit every club in his bag "on the up arc". I was never really sure what he meant, but maybe his hand path has something to do with it?

yogicroppedhand_path.bmp

You have the book and I don't. That being said...mute the audio or ignore the advertisements and watch the swings.

Again, mute the sound so you don't get sold on a golf school. I'm really talking about the swing and the unorthodox address position.
Is this what he was teaching? Very strange.

natep

New
I have no clue who those people are. Here's Yogi's swing, he's was in his 70's at the time though I believe.

If you mean the hands behind the ball at address, yes. He sets up similar to Couples, IMO. In fact, of all the guys playing today, Couples' swing is probably the most like Yogi overall iMO.

maar01_flick_lesson.jpg

yogiaddress.bmp

Last edited:
Ya I know who he is/was, just wondering if he taught the strange looking address position. These are just kids from the school named after him and supposedly teach what he thought. I just wanted to know if that's really the look he tried to teach.

natep

New
Ya I know who he is/was, just wondering if he taught the strange looking address position. These are just kids from the school named after him and supposedly teach what he thought. I just wanted to know if that's really the look he tried to teach.

Well, they might be attempting to copy him but they're failing pretty hard IMO.

(At least the second guy is, the first guys not as bad but still not the best representation of Yogi's swing, IMO.)

For some reason it looks like both of them are hitting the ball off their back foot, and setting up with their hands behind the ball. Seems like a terrible idea, and as you can see in that photo Yogi was hitting driver off his left heel.

Last edited:
I have his book and VHS video (and the hitting mat that came with the package). I haven't viewed the video it in a while but I don't recall seeing the extreme unorthodox address positions shown in these YT vids although he does talk a lot about his hands always being "behind" the ball (which I interpret as NO dragging). Yogi had a tremendous looking swing - knowing the TM numbers would be really interesting!

He was very much about swinging with "grace and balance" with a very relaxed and "muscleless" body.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I came across this thumbing through my copy of Count Yogi's "Five Simple Steps to Perfect Golf", and thought some of you might enjoy checking it out. Its difficult to determine hand path from old video, but here's a stroboscopic photo of his swing. Interestingly, Yogi used to say that he hit every club in his bag "on the up arc". I was never really sure what he meant, but maybe his hand path has something to do with it?

yogicroppedhand_path.bmp

Almost EXACTLY like Nesbit's optimize hand path.

Aside from the photos that Brian has marked up of Tiger around 2000, this seems to be one of the more dramatic examples of the coupling point moving up prior to impact.

Thanks for sharing.

At address, it appears that Yogi simply pre-sets his hands/wrists into a position that one would move into during a Lagging Clubhead Takeaway.

Pete J

Banned
At address, it appears that Yogi simply pre-sets his hands/wrists into a position that one would move into during a Lagging Clubhead Takeaway.

Exactly. When I saw this earlier today, I went out and did a little pitching in the back yard putting green using the really cupped left wrist at set up. My ball contact was really good......don't know why but it was.

Exactly. When I saw this earlier today, I went out and did a little pitching in the back yard putting green using the really cupped left wrist at set up. My ball contact was really good......don't know why but it was.

The LCT, if used properly, can help delay low point.

Pete J

Banned
The LCT, if used properly, can help delay low point.

I would have never thought of that. My biggest problem is bottoming out too soon and I've been applying a lot of PP 1 to fix it but it only works some of the time. I really don't even like to think about it during my swing but my right wrist just wants to release.

Status
Not open for further replies.