couple trackman questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. what is trackman's "normalize"? is it sea level and no wind?
or, can you hit balls at a given temperature and altitude, and then enter a different alt and temp and get new carry/roll results? say, if i hit balls new orleans and want to know what the the results would be in denver.

2. have any trackman owners used it to diagnose different shots?
i.e., the anatomy of a toe hit or hosel rocket?
leading edge vs mid sole pitches? what makes the mid sole more desirable around the greens? is it a higher vla, more spin, higher landing angle, combination of all of these?

3. if someone has a driver swing that normally has an AoA of +2, would the same path at -2 be enough for them to snap hook it? (assuming no shift in hsp)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
1. what is trackman's "normalize"? is it sea level and no wind?
or, can you hit balls at a given temperature and altitude, and then enter a different alt and temp and get new carry/roll results? say, if i hit balls new orleans and want to know what the the results would be in denver.

2. have any trackman owners used it to diagnose different shots?
i.e., the anatomy of a toe hit or hosel rocket?
leading edge vs mid sole pitches? what makes the mid sole more desirable around the greens? is it a higher vla, more spin, higher landing angle, combination of all of these?

3. if someone has a driver swing that normally has an AoA of +2, would the same path at -2 be enough for them to snap hook it? (assuming no shift in hsp)

Normalize means to a ProV ball. You can change altitude conditions to know what it would be like in different areas, definately.

I have used it to diagnose different shots but it wont pick up anything greenside.

Dont understand the third question

Normalize means to a ProV ball. You can change altitude conditions to know what it would be like in different areas, definately.
cool, thanks. would be a nice tool for tour pros who play in many different conditions.

I have used it to diagnose different shots but it wont pick up anything greenside.
could it measure the different spin rates, vlas, and landing angles of a 30-40 yard pitch? would be interesting to see the different numbers b/t leading edge and mid sole pitches.

does a toe hit have a high negative hsp, and a hosel hit a high positive hsp?
Dont understand the third question
i just meant that is the 4 degrees of down (from positive 2 to negative 2) enough to make a ball hook, assuming the same face angle and hsp.

also, i have always wondered if it's possible for a flip to have a negative AoA?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
cool, thanks. would be a nice tool for tour pros who play in many different conditions.

could it measure the different spin rates, vlas, and landing angles of a 30-40 yard pitch? would be interesting to see the different numbers b/t leading edge and mid sole pitches.

does a toe hit have a high negative hsp, and a hosel hit a high positive hsp?

i just meant that is the 4 degrees of down (from positive 2 to negative 2) enough to make a ball hook, assuming the same face angle and hsp.

also, i have always wondered if it's possible for a flip to have a negative AoA?

It does measure and a mid sole usually has a little less spin and flies a touch higher.

No and no on the toe and heel.

If the HSP is Zero and the face is square to the target the up hit will fade and the down hit will draw both slightly to the other side of the target line but not a really bad shot

It really depends on your definition of a flip but in my experience they all have positive attack angle. I have seen a few really high (10 degrees) of downward and a really high no divot shot, so maybe yes.

Last edited:
If the HSP is Zero and the face is square to the target the up hit will fade and the down hit will draw both slightly to the other side of the target line but not a really bad shot

kevin,
you're a trooper man! thanks for putting up with the questions!

so...
let's say the player's normal tee shot is AoA is +2 and hsp 1.0, face angle 0.5.
if he makes his normal swing (hsp 1.0, face angle 0.5) but "accidently" hits -2 down, is that enough to skew the true path and hook?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If thats his normal swing, it is so unlikely that he would keep the face the same if he accidentally hits down that its a hard example to think about. Of course, all things being equal, downward skews path to the right. My attack angle when swinging normal is now at about 1 degree up (although i can get it to 3) if i "accidentally" hit down, its usually a little sqeezer out to the right. Because i was prepared for the face to square on the ascending side of low point and now that hit was earlier and the face late.

"Because i was prepared for the face to square on the ascending side of low point and now that hit was earlier and the face late."

Kevin, is ball position for ascending Driver strike farther forward in your stance?

Status
Not open for further replies.