Cutting Edge Medicine - Herniated Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far out are we from having disc regeneration? Any other cutting edge methods to deal with herniated discs (L5-S1 in particular)? I figure this issue affects a lot of members on this site and I would love a "trackman" to repair my bad back. Killing me right now. When you have to breathe like a woman giving birth you know you're in trouble.

I fought with mine (L4/L5) for 5-6 years. Did everything from chiros to a dozen epidurals. Finally made the decision to undergo fusion when the fire down the legs wouldn't subside. I was a 37 year old walking with the list of a 87 year old. The epidurals bought me a large chunk of those 6 years, but the fusion has been a small miracle for me.

Get yourself a few good opinions, but don't be afraid of the epidurals. For some, that's where the pain ends. If you go that route, get the painful anesthetic shot before the epidural. After about my 6th, I decided I'd man up and take the little pill under the tongue. Mistake. Not only does that pill leave a turd taste in your mouth for about a week, it also lets you feel enough of the epi to make you really wish you couldn't feel ANY of it.

Good luck brother.

My wife had her L5S1 fused 18 months go. The pain is 95% better. She's gone from being damn near crippled to pretty much pain free.

But she ain't a golfer.

This is fairly new. My brother is going in for one in a few months. I've had a partial discectomy in 1987 and herniated the disc above a few years after that, but have been doing ok so far. I hate low back pain.

Lumbar Disc Replacement

Stop treating the symptoms and treat the cause of low back pain.

That's what I'm looking for and not sure if a successful option exists. I won't have my spine fused unless I'm bedridden for a prolonged period of time. Disc replacement in the L5-S1 has a very low success rate (C level much better). If someone can regenerate disc they'll make billions.

Status
Not open for further replies.