D plane application questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik_K

New
So I wanted to try visualize the target line, clubhead path and clubface alignment positions.

What I did was tape a pen to the face (poor man's lie angle tool). I know that to hit a draw, say, the face is open to the target line, but closed relative to the path. It's easy to see the path and target line. But, in my opinion, it's not that easy to see the orientation of the face when standing over the ball. Or maybe it is, and my home made apparatus sucks.

As we all know the hard thing to grasp with the D-plane is that one actually sets up with an open face to hit a push draw.

So how do guys like to open the face? I ask because unless I really, really exaggerate this position, the face always looks square to the target line. I think most people might shoot for a path that's around 6 deg inside out, with a face that 3 deg open, say, when at address. This is just a hypothetical example, maybe people are like 1 deg open and 3 deg inside out for all I know.

How do you know the face is 1 or 3 deg open at address? I think one idea, for repeatability, is to perhaps note the position of the grip (and maybe the printed logo, such as "Golfpride") relative to your hands. That way you have some idea where the grip should be each time before you make a swing.

Maybe if I had a longer (or real lie tool) angle tool on the face, the difference (or face orientation) is easier to see.

Erik

Erik_K

New
The other thing I should have pointed out is that my stance is square to the target line. I think if I pull my right foot back just a tad the 'foot line' is oriented out to the right and since my body is aligned to the right a little the face opens up just a bit without gripping the club any differently.

Does that sound right?

Status
Not open for further replies.