D-plane basics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having trouble even after searching google about implications of d-plane and how to adjust accordingly for a straight shot.

All things square...downward angle with irons, upward angle with driver.

Driver = aim right?
Irons = longer irons, aim more left, shorter irons, aim left, but less left?

confused.

So I'm right? Do you want the clubface pointed to intended target or aim target at address?

Last edited:
All things square...downward angle with irons, upward angle with driver.

Driver = aim right?
Irons = longer irons, aim more left, shorter irons, aim left, but less left?

confused.

For me, it's much easier if i know my tendencies.
For my driver, i stand to aim right (very closed stance) but close my clubface to aim down the fairway, swing right, hit up on the ball and just blast it. This gives me more room for error on my true impact path versus my clubface at impact. Meaning, mostly the mishits are a fades or draws but on the fairway. It won't usually result in push/slice/hook. If it's a pull, which does happen occasionally, i know why it happens and can immediately fix it for the round (not swinging to right field). At first it really felt awkward but now i can't argue with the results i'm getting.
For my irons, I just aim straight. If it was hit well, it'll be close to where i was aiming. That's good enough for me. However if i'm having flight issues with irons, then i use the Dplane to fix it on the course, which usually is just my clubface open/close i have to adjust. There is one thing i found out, is that when i want to have a safe shot, a little open stance and an open clubface (close to target) will usually give me a nice soft fade or a big left to right slice or a straight shot, which in either case, i can live with because i've allowed for it.

Just what i actually try to do. I could be wrong totally, but its what i understood from Dplane. Of course with no Trackman, i had to generalise it for myself.

You want the clubface and club path pointed at the target at impact to hit it straight to the target. No different than ping-pong.

Where you aim it at address is up to you.

When hitting down, the actual path will be right of the plane you are swinging on.

So if the plane is left, and the actual path is at the target, then the face would be open to the plane but square to the path.

Tried it out tonight, at first it went great and was able to both fade and draw the ball with in a 30 yard span. Then I switched to irons and that also went great.

Then...I went back to drive and it didn't go so well. I was either blocking it or over drawing it. What would the most common cause of this be, if my swing were to be in order? I was thinking that I had the ball too far forward and begin rolling over it. I was playing the ball pretty far up so I don't think it was a result of path being super in-to-out.

Where do you recommend your students have ball position for the driver? Without knowing specific stats/angles/degrees, what's the best way to guesstimate how much to aim right with driver? My carry is about 290.

natep

New
Per the calculator above, if you carry it 290 and hit up 5 degrees (with a vsp of 45 degrees), then you need to aim 25 yards right to zero out. It all depends on your vsp and how much you are hitting up/down on it.

I'll have to play around with that. Where do the big dogs recommend playing the driver ball position when using d-plane principles? For a straight shot?

Last edited:

natep

New
At the top right corner of the grid theres a button "click to edit". Hit that, enter your new numbers and hit "enter" when youre done.

One of the trackman publications says that you want the club face aimed at the intended/final target at address. Is this true? With the Driver?

Where do the big dogs recommend playing the driver ball position when using d-plane principles? For a straight shot?

I thought I read somewhere about a summary of d-plane as it relates to the driver swing and especially address. Does anyone know where that is?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.