D-Plane Success ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question about the use of " D Plane". Apparently my current driver swing flaw is an uncontrollable pivot, leading to a club path arching leftwards. It appears the lower pendulum hinge pin cannot clear my midriff. My range sessions have been trying some changes that would allow the proper line-up.

The range list is long but the shortlist has been, 1. more back to the target 2. eliminate the pivot 3. various set-up stances 4. the Noren drill 5 . attempts of controlling the rear shoulder path. multitudes of grip changes 6. gamma torques and 7. opening the clubface at set-up.

Opening the clubface about 10 degrees is the only one that really worked. My senses were shouting that this is not an acceptable route. So my mental D-Plane calculator figures that if I just move the ball front enough , my current arc will at some point stop the pull hook and produce a banana cut. This worked and gave some hope. Some soft draws and several straight bullets.

It was starting to snow in Pa so that ended today's D-Plane success story.
The question is, should one be happy with this ball placement work-around, or should I keep looking for another solution to line up the driver better?

Thanks Brian and company for the great help this site has been to me.

John

Sounds like you are totally lost and guessing. How far are you from Pittsburgh and Kevin Shields, Manzella Academy instructor who owns a Trackman?

btp

New
If your pivot is bad, then work on your pivot. Resist the temptation to try something new every swing.

Sounds like you are totally lost and guessing. How far are you from Pittsburgh and Kevin Shields, Manzella Academy instructor who owns a Trackman?

Guessing at the fix for sure. Thanks for the response. Five hours east of Kevin. Lost? Was trying to be specific.

If I lived 5 hours from Kevin, I would be making some roadtrips. We can't see ourselves and even in the hands of a great instructor, it's tough to make changes. The evidence of Lost is the following paragraph.

"The range list is long but the shortlist has been, 1. more back to the target 2. eliminate the pivot 3. various set-up stances 4. the Noren drill 5 . attempts of controlling the rear shoulder path. multitudes of grip changes 6. gamma torques and 7. opening the clubface at set-up.
"

Kevin
The ball placement positions that were successful were 4 to 6 inches more frontwards than my normal. Perhaps I should have stated that I have made a committment to the "ideas swing" including a jump which is a new addition. My previous swing erroroniously used a fair amount of shoulder drive. I'am done with the old swing so everything is new in many respects. My proceedure to measure ball placement is to set the clubhead on the turf a predetermined distance from the ball and lay the handle in the valley of my left hip. The new position is exactly 7in forwards and 6in from the target line. Was it too far back before? Very possible.

What i'am missing is the knowledge of whether the addition of the jump and the uncontrollable resultant pivot, normal or abnormal? to ask in a different way. Thanks john

Softconsult

Thats fair and I'am sure good advice. Thanks. Learned four of the seven here on this forum. Just trying to show that due dillagence was observed.

John

ZAP

New
Guessing at the fix for sure. Thanks for the response. Five hours east of Kevin. Lost? Was trying to be specific.

I live about three and a half hours west of Kevin. The road trip is worth it. PM him and set something up. It will be something you wish you did for your game a long time ago. I debated for a while before I first saw Brian on one of his tour stops. Then I debated a while before I contacted Kevin. My leg is still sore from kicking myself on both accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.