Damage control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eliminating or at least reducing the tug has helped me a lot. I've monitored it so much I can now feel when it occurs in transition. The club falls behind me and the face rotates open. My attempts to save the shot (torquing the right hand like crazy) aren't working. Any ideas on how to reduce the damage so I can survive and focus on eliminating tug on the next shot from someplace other than the hinterlands? Thanks.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
You say you know when it happens but seem like you wanted the right hand torquing to be the cure. I may have this wrong but what exactly are you asking for? A better save move or a better transition move? Both?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Better save.[/QUOT

I don't know why you'd want that but a better save is a stronger grip or an early down arched left wrist. Just nothing crazy close to impact like a torquing right wrist as you stated. If you can't stop tugging the club in the transition you just have make sure it doesn't open the face.

Yes. That's the move I have been working on and I can now feel it when I fail to tumble. Sometimes I rush in transition. The pivot runs away and I reverse tumble. When that happens is ther a save move that would allow me to keep the ball in play. When I pour on the right hand late, I pull hook. If I don't attempt to compensate for the open face I push fade. I'm looking for a better miss.

Better save.[/QUOT

I don't know why you'd want that but a better save is a stronger grip or an early down arched left wrist. Just nothing crazy close to impact like a torquing right wrist as you stated. If you can't stop tugging the club in the transition you just have make sure it doesn't open the face.

Thanks. I'll try the down arch. Thanks to the drills tugs are much more rare.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Yes. That's the move I have been working on and I can now feel it when I fail to tumble. Sometimes I rush in transition. The pivot runs away and I reverse tumble. When that happens is ther a save move that would allow me to keep the ball in play. When I pour on the right hand late, I pull hook. If I don't attempt to compensate for the open face I push fade. I'm looking for a better miss.

A save move is a reaction. There's no way you can plan on it. If you have a tugged shaft, down arched wrist, backed up swing......then that's your swing. If you go the other way and make the change, then that's your swing. You just can't say that whenever you accidentally tug the face open, you plan on having a save move to calm the miss. You either permanently fix the open face from the tug or you fix the tug.

Hey I'm about 85 percent cured, it's that "permanent fix" that eludes me. I think the down arched left wrist will help when things go wrong. Thanks again.

There is no save move, period

By the time that you sense that something bad has happened in the early downswing it is too late to activate any muscles to correct. All that lalther from Tiger about "saving" a shot (after being "stuck") was just a different DS pattern that popped out in response to something which happened earlier in the swing (ie top of backswing or earlier).

You can save the shot from the hinterlands a few different ways.

1. stop your swing like Tiger used to do when a bird flew by or a camera snapped, give some nasty looks and then restart the routine (my personal fave)

2. miss the ball completely like Kevin Na did earlier this year and just swing well above the ball and claim there was no intent to hit the ball.

3. chunk the dog sh*t out it, the shot should go fairly straight without enough distance to reach the hinterlands. then you can keep from tugging the next one without having to hit low punch shots out from under the trees.

jimmyt

New
NO TUG DRILL.........NO TUG DRILL............

Please find the you tube post.....should be easy to find.

This drill has eliminated the desire to tug completely.....

Thanks for the suggestions. Jimmy, I am doing the drill. I've been hitting about 10 to 12 fairways per round which is great for me. The only problem is when I do miss I am subject to fan it WAY right or in attempting to save the shot pull hook it WAY left. I 'll keep working on the anti-tug drill and when all else fails I'm going with Magic's second idea. It should work, at least tomorrow, when the guys I play with are likely to feel too bad to notice. Happy New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.