David Toms...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone get the whole story on Toms and his ball rolling off the green and him chipping back up onto the green? He ended up with a 6, double bogey.

Anyone have the story here?

If it was at #6, round 2, I guess he did the exact same thing as Tiger AND Ernie did. The hole was cut back right. Both E & T hit it a fraction short & it rolled back off the green.

Tiger opted to putt from just off the green. His put was too short it came back to the exact same spot (more or less) again. He hit another putt some 10 feet past the flag. Holed from there for a bogey.

Ernie also opted to putt. Same thing happeded, I guess the ball rolled back to even further away. Something like 3-4 feet off the green. He did not putt it again but made a very delicate chip that stopped just a 1-2 feet from the hole & made his bogey.

I am guessing that's were also Toms got busted.

The whole story really was (again) that the hole was cut on the back right shelf, i.e. the highest point on the green. Anyting short would catch the slope & roll off. Anything too much left would trickle down to front left.

Thats also what Tiger ment by the pins being benign today (saturday). Anytome they cut the pins at the highest point of the green there's going to be a let fewer birdies. Anytime they cut them on the low points the shots are going to funnel down & create a bunch of birdies. Just like front 9 today - not on all holes, but on more of them than "normal".

quote:Originally posted by Martee

Did anyone get the whole story on Toms and his ball rolling off the green and him chipping back up onto the green? He ended up with a 6, double bogey.

Anyone have the story here?

The ball was on the crest at the front of the green and he was about to approach the ball to putt and it started to move and it rolled all the way off the green. You have to play it from there. He didn't sole his putter so it shouldn't have been a penalty. I thought he made a 5. I wasn't sure if he got up and down.

Status
Not open for further replies.