Describe Your Putting Stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grip is neutral double overlap w the right hand turned under a little. Loose.

Eyes over the line. Head centered bet feet. Ball somewhere just inside the left heel. (whatever feels best at the time, but closer to left heel then bet the feet) Open stance, to some degree. (experimenting w how much right now) Weight more towards heels. Loose.

Stroke(s):

1. "NHAish".
Rotated sh turn.
Right shoulder driven. (mostly/consciously)
Out to in a little.
Gather up marbles.
Experimenting w tighter l hand grip or another grip (alignments) to firm the left wrist.

2. "NSAish".
Forward press of hands.
Flat s turn.
RSD. (RST?)
Out to in? Still unsure, but maybe. At least intent, feel.
Full roll! motion but "stopped short of full roll".

Just recently realised that the two strokes that have worked best for me are very similar to NHA and NSA, respectively. Didn't really try for this, it just worked out this way, so far. (From what I've learned in here and my own sperimenting)

Last edited:
Eyes over the ball, palms opposing and square to clubface. Double (almost triple) overlap grip. I also make sure the entire weight of the club is supported in my hands and not resting on the ground. This part has been huge in my improvement when lag putting. The stroke is kinda NHA, but I never thought of it that way. Hmmmm.

dlam

New
eyes beneath the ball rather than directly over the ball. eyeline traces a line to target. ball is in that target line. pendulum stroke. fulcrum at the shoulder. top hand thumb straight on top of the grip. bottom hand claw.

Eyes well inside the ball. Reverse overlap grip (index finger of left hand not extended down the fingers of the right hand, only overlaps the pinky and part of ring finger). Really light right hand (left hand dominates). Allow the putterhead to pass my hands; don't drag the grip through. Kind of like a belly putter stroke without the belly putter; always want the grip end pointing at my navel. I used to be a die-it-in putter, but I realized this year that I putt it better when I hit it with some speed.

Eyes over the ball. Conventional (not reverse) overlap. Feet a bit open to target. Firm wrists, soft hands. Primarily a forearm stroke. Definitely a 'pop' to it.

Grip is neutral double overlap w the right hand turned under a little.

Lately, on the European Tour, there seems to be a lot of double and even triple-overlap putting grips being used.

JeevMilkhaSingh11-19-2010.jpg

JohanEdfors9-22-2010.jpg

RoryMcIlroyl12-4-2010.jpg

OliverWilson11-19-2010.jpg

Reverse Overlap grip. Feet just inside shoulder width apart. Ball position just behind left foot. Tempo is the same back as it is the same thru. Eyes point in the same direction my face is pointing. Main focus is touch/speed.

3JACK

I have two strokes, one for putts that I should make and one for putts that I might make.

It's like lag putting with a difference :)

Lately, on the European Tour, there seems to be a lot of double and even triple-overlap putting grips being used.

JeevMilkhaSingh11-19-2010.jpg

JohanEdfors9-22-2010.jpg

RoryMcIlroyl12-4-2010.jpg

OliverWilson11-19-2010.jpg

Joe D,

Interesting about the grips! Also - where in the hell do these cats get their shoes? Edfors looks like he's on his way to a kids birthday party and he's the rental clown. Wilson looks like he forgot his shoes and just went with a pair of socks! :)

Last edited:
I have putted with mallet head putters going back to the Zebra. Always used a rock the shoulders, pendulum stroke. For no particular reason, I decided to change to an Utley type stroke in about mid-2009. Results? Ok, but not wonderful.

At some point in 2010, again on a whim, I bought a Taylormade Itsy Bitsy Spider high MOI putter. Then I started watching some Geoff Mangum videos and I liked what I was seeing. For the balance of 2010, I used my best attempt at his stroke. The results have been good. I'm more comfortable with the pendulum stroke. He says that you need to just let it happen. When you pull that off, it works great. The struggle is to not manipulate the stroke.

Try to stroke it equally hard with my left hand as my right hand. Putting has improved greatly since this became my swing thought. Little too much left, miss line right. Too much right hand and its a pull. Pretty simple actually. Hope it keeps working.

Then I started watching some Geoff Mangum videos and I liked what I was seeing. For the balance of 2010, I used my best attempt at his stroke. The results have been good. I'm more comfortable with the pendulum stroke.

I am sure it doesn't work for everyone, but I read the Mangum book and then took up his stroke and approach completely about a year and a half ago. After putting with my hands for over 25 years, this was a huge change for me, but the more I trust it, the better I get. I can still have bad putting days but I now have a lot more good putting days and a lot more confidence that I can really be a good putter. I make a LOT more 15 footers than I used to, and I hit a lot more 35 foot putts to gimme range. So I'm really sold on it.

He says that you need to just let it happen. When you pull that off, it works great. The struggle is to not manipulate the stroke.

Yep, that's it exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.