Determining optimal iron spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hit Trackman Monday, and it looked to me (as usual) that I was spinning it too much with my irons. My question is, in comparing my numbers to the pro numbers on the TM site, should I look to optimize my spin by comparing my 5 iron to the pros 5 iron spin rate, or do I match the spin rates up with the corresponding ball speeds on the chart, regardless of the club?

That's the confusing part. My ballspeeds are higher than the pro speeds. I would expect that the combo of higher spin rate and higher launch angle and peak height (30 to 40 feet higher than the pro #) that my ballspeed would be lower; that combination of factors would equal out to me adding loft, right? The higher ballspeeds throw me off, and make me think it's an equip issue vs a swing issue.

If that's the case, should I try to match my 5 iron spin to the pros 5 iron, regardless of my 5 iron speed? Or should I match my spin to the speed that corresponds to my 5 iron speed?

I hope I'm not making the question as confusing as it looks to me in print lol

Last edited:
What balls?

What AofA?

etc....

I was using yellow range balls, hitting into cold air (25*, but hitting in heated bays with only a regular polo on, no long sleeves, so they were normal swings with no restrictions). The version of Trackman I had access to was the one that only gives launch and flight info, except for some basic club stuff (path and face, no degrees), so no angle of attack info. The iron I was hitting had 26 degrees of loft, and I was averaging 14.6* launch angle. Average land angle was 58.5.

Does this help at all?

Average land angle was 58.5

That number does not seem right. The conditions you were in are a little tough to try to compare yourself to pro averages, range balls too will skew.

Were you hitting into the wind?

That number does not seem right. The conditions you were in are a little tough to try to compare yourself to pro averages, range balls too will skew.

Were you hitting into the wind?

I don't think so. It was so cold I'm sure I would have noticed if it was blowing that strongly. The ball was going really high. I had quite a few shots reaching peak height in the 130's, while the tour average was in the low to mid 90's. Could that contribute to the steep angle of descent?

I don't think so. It was so cold I'm sure I would have noticed if it was blowing that strongly. The ball was going really high. I had quite a few shots reaching peak height in the 130's, while the tour average was in the low to mid 90's. Could that contribute to the steep angle of descent?

The Trackman Range didn't give you AOA right? I would have assumed you would have had a higher launch than 14.6 to get it so high but I suppose you could have had a steep enough AOA and you have the club head speed you mentioned it would go high. How was overall distance? Pretty short?

Pretty short. I topped out at 144 ballspeed, and I still don't think I reached 190 carry. I would expect a little more, especially looking at the pro carries at those speeds, and that I've not had a problem carrying it that far at lower speeds. But I wasn't super surprised considering the air temp and the LA and spin. I was more worried about the launch numbers than the distance because it was so cold.

As far as the launch angle, that was the avg. Half of the shots were over 15*, going over 17* at least once. Does that make a difference?

Last edited:

ZAP

New
Sometimes I wonder just how much of a difference a shaft can make in spin numbers. How much can a shaft affect TM numbers?

Sometimes I wonder just how much of a difference a shaft can make in spin numbers. How much can a shaft affect TM numbers?

That's what I'd like to know. When I decide trade up, would simply reshafting the irons fix the spin issue, or would I be chasing my tail because it turns out that the shaft has little to do with the spin rate on irons? It's a lot easier to figure out with the driver; that info is all over the place. But it seems as if the same amount of info isn't available regarding iron numbers, save that TM chart. And if your numbers don't match either the PGA or LPGA pros, it's a guessing game if you really don't know what you're looking for, or looking at.

Should I expect more spin with a good ball or less? If a good ball spins more then I have a problem...

Depends on the type and condition of the range balls. The balls on our range spin A LOT more than a premium ball. I don't have the numbers in front of me but it was a surprising amount.

Depends on the type and condition of the range balls. The balls on our range spin A LOT more than a premium ball. I don't have the numbers in front of me but it was a surprising amount.

That's good to know. I'm assuming that premium balls are more lively as well (generally speaking)?

I've read the advice to use "real" balls at a fitting. Seems it's more important than I believed before...

Status
Not open for further replies.