Did Ben Hogan have a 1 plane swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I think - Ben Hogan swings his hands back on the elbow plane and swings them down on the elbow plane. At the top, to my eye (my ignorant, severely uneducated eye), it seems as if his hands are below the turned shoulder plane. So, by my analysis, Ben Hogan had a "one plane" golf swing. Take that for what it's worth (a grain of something...).

My suggestion would be to educate yourself on what the elbow plane and turned shoulder plane are. A quick forum search will have you swimming in some knowledge. Also, wait and hope for an answer from someone who knows this stuff well, 'cause it ain't me.

the real question is Who cares? all anyone knows for sure is that hogan didnt swing like hardy says he did. anybody with eyes can see that.

I agree.

If Hogan's swing looked like Olin Browne's, he would be viewed as the Chris Demarco of his time.

And there would be no Hogan fanboys living today, despite his majors.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Not.

Ok.

In a standard ORTHODOX backswing, the golfer starts on either the elbow plane or the hands only plane, and shifts up to the turned shoulder plane by the end of the backswing.

The end of the backswing.

Parallel or longer.

You dig?

Just as Anthony Kim isn't "on" the Turned Shoulder Plane when he completes his backswing, Hogan—who loved to make short swings and hit all sort of less than full shots—often isn't "on" the TSP at the completion of his backswing either.

Because...

Hogan and Kim hadn't got to the end yet.

They made abbreviated backswings.

Comprende?

BTW, Good post Future.

Hogan did not use the same plane angle from address to follow through. For example, look at page 89 in Five Lessons- the shaft plane at address is much shallower than the backswing shaft plane, so a shift is necessary to get the shaft onto his backswing plane. However, Hogan's shaft plane angle was basically the same at address and impact.

Dariusz J.

Technically, using the author's of OP/TP theory, Hogan was a one planer, since his lead arm plane was not higher than his shoulder plane AT THE TOP. End of message :)

The very term "one plane" is just a marketing name. In a full swing, there are no possibilities of having one single plane, unless one's rear elbow joint can hypothetically move in all directions. Hogan was a double shifter, as Snead, as Trevino, as Moe, etc. The majority of great ballstrikers were double shifters returning to the elbow plane relatively early in the downswing.

Cheers

Does this picture show that he didn't have a one plane swing? If it was on one plane, wouldn't the path be the same on the takeaway as well as the downswing?
Thanks,
p

post-58862-1227058908-1.jpg

Does this picture show that he didn't have a one plane swing? If it was on one plane, wouldn't the path be the same on the takeaway as well as the downswing?
Thanks,
p

No. You wouldn't be able to determine that from a face-on view. Rarely in a good/powerful player will you see a clubhead path that, from the face-on view, retraces itself, even in one-plane swingers.

Generally speaking, the clubhead is going to come down inside the path traced on the backswing.

Last edited:

ggsjpc

New
Thanks,
p

The defintion of a one or two plane swing has nothing to do with the club or the swing plane itself. It's a very common misconception. The planes in the name are determined by the plane the arms swing on and the plane the body turns on. One plane swings will generally have the arms swing in about the same plane as the body turns and a two plane swing has the arms swinging in a different plane than the body turns.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Why?

Why we don't talk about other "methods" as much as we used to?

Well, because, no matter how well I debunk the usually easy to debunk theories, it act as advertising for the debunked.

Get it?

I like the Hogan pic and will talk about it in another thread.

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
Why we don't talk about other "methods" as much as we used to?

Well, because, no matter how well I debunk the usually easy to debunk theories, it act as advertising for the debunked.

Get it?

I like the Hogan pic and will talk about it in another thread.

Debunk? This thread is a joke!:p It does'nt even warrant a response. I mean really a one plane swing ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.