Dispersion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dispersion goes up as the club I'm using gets longer and less lofted. In other words, I can hit my wedge to a target much easier than I can with a driver. Is that normal?

And yes, this is really as dumb as it sounds and is a cheap shot.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
My dispersion goes up as the club I'm using gets longer and less lofted. In other words, I can hit my wedge to a target much easier than I can with a driver. Is that normal?

I must be missing something?

I am by far the most accurate, longest lengthed, and least lofted club in Mike's bag. What club am I?:)

hint: THEY'RE out to get me.

Last edited:
There is nothing to this thread. Two great ball strikers go up against one another, and the other seemingly strikes it better on the range as the clubs get longer. Yet, the better player, for some unknown reason, snap hooks the snot out of the driver when the pressure is on and snap hooks his way down the back 9 of the 2011 Masters en route to shooting a miserable final round number. Meanwhile, the other, "obviously" less mechanically perfect striker, just happens to not suck with his putter enough to eke out a T11. This golf, it's a stupid game.

D-Plane!

When you've got a guy out on tour, and the other tour players say the guy is one of the best strikers on tour, you kinda go by that. Not by how he looks on video, and not necessarily his numbers when the stats aren't a large enough sample size or they aren't accounting ALL of his rounds because such and such player happens to play abroad. BTW, his impact position, he'll never get to scratch that way, will he?

If this sounded all random it's because I had a coffee and a Red Bull this morning and it is. Off to play. Hopefully my impact position looks good and all my micro moves are intact so I can shoot a good round. Bye bye!

Because I didn't stop following tournament golf, I thought I'd mention here: 2012 Masters T3, Nordea Masters win, 2012 Indonesians Masters win, 2012 US Open T10. Truthfully he had a legit shot at the US Open, if not for the ball getting stuck in the tree. Look, both of them strike the ball great. Nobody swings his best every day, unless you're Moe Norman. Rory was firing on all cylinders when he won those majors, which included putting the ball well. It's the putter.

And this thread is done. Thank you for noticing.

There is nothing to this thread. Two great ball strikers go up against one another, and the other seemingly strikes it better on the range as the clubs get longer. Yet, the better player, for some unknown reason, snap hooks the snot out of the driver when the pressure is on and snap hooks his way down the back 9 of the 2011 Masters en route to shooting a miserable final round number. Meanwhile, the other, "obviously" less mechanically perfect striker, just happens to not suck with his putter enough to eke out a T11. This golf, it's a stupid game.

I see what you're saying... so when the better "longer club" player hits it to an average of 44'4" on Tour when approaching from > 200 yds, he is clearly superior to the tune of 6'6" to the other great player (who averages 50'10" form that distance). Everyone knows that the advantage that 6-1/2 feet provides is invaluable to the next shot played - the putt. The make percentage from 39' - 44' is 4%, and the make percentage from 45' - 53' is 3%. Huge advantage, right?

So the take away here is when an assistant club pro observes two great players during one range session, he sees a dramatic or noticeable difference in dispersion when the clubs get longer. But that corresponds to nothing as it relates to how the two players play on the course. 6' is the real life difference, the under the gun difference, the only difference that counts. But even that difference makes no difference. A putt from 44' is the same as a putt from 50'. So again we're blessed with a half-baked theory from those who know golf only from the flat 2D world of the driving range. Those who play the game for a living or for a score can easily understand and put into perspective this 6' gap at that distance, but for those who only "play" golf through theories and forums, 6' must sound like an obvious and significant swing issue.

Oddly enough, the player who hits it 6' farther from the hole is 17 under par on those approaches... 1 stroke better than the guy hitting it closer.

From 200-225 yards, the player with noticeable swing flaws is only 1'5" farther away from the better "longer club" player.

From 225-250 yards, the player with noticeable swing flaws is only 8" farther away from the better "longer club" player.

But where it counts, on the range, one player probably is noticeably worse as the clubs get longer. :rolleyes:

It seems that there will always be these two sides to the debate and looking at statistics will not help each argument. There is one thing missing that cannot be quantified, at least not yet...

The Human Element:)

As art has pointed out, there are nearly infinite degrees of freedom within a human performing a golf swing and what is ideal for one swing won't be for the next swing.

It seems that there will always be these two sides to the debate and looking at statistics will not help each argument. There is one thing missing that cannot be quantified, at least not yet...

The Human Element:)

As art has pointed out, there are nearly infinite degrees of freedom within a human performing a golf swing and what is ideal for one swing won't be for the next swing.

You are exactly right. Your point is exactly what some keep missing as they think there is one optimal set of movements for everyone... not surprisingly, it is also the crowd that doesn't play golf just golf swing.

Oh, and the Human Element has been documented...

TPC1090_t620.jpg

...at least the 11th one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.