Divots - In Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had the pleasure of watching (and talking with on a few occasions) Dudley Hart hit balls in the past couple years. What amazes me most about a golfer of that caliber is their divots. Dudley's divot pattern is perfect. Every one is a dollar bill. You can tell where he has been on the range because you can see his "train tracks". Nobody else, even the scratch golfers don't even come close to looking like that.

I, myself have gotten myself back down to scratch (finally) and was wondering what separates Dudley and me. I am definitely getting my weight onto my left side, but my divots are always inconsistent. Sometimes I hit one that looks like Dudley's, sometimes I take a very skinny divot.

Does club fitting have a lot to do with this? What causes my skinny divot?

I have had the pleasure of watching (and talking with on a few occasions) Dudley Hart hit balls in the past couple years. What amazes me most about a golfer of that caliber is their divots. Dudley's divot pattern is perfect. Every one is a dollar bill. You can tell where he has been on the range because you can see his "train tracks". Nobody else, even the scratch golfers don't even come close to looking like that.

I, myself have gotten myself back down to scratch (finally) and was wondering what separates Dudley and me. I am definitely getting my weight onto my left side, but my divots are always inconsistent. Sometimes I hit one that looks like Dudley's, sometimes I take a very skinny divot.

I am a higher handicapper, so take this for what it's worth. Biggest difference is probably repetitions. How many practice sessions does he take compared to you? He probably has someone watching his swing as well, at least sometimes. That's not to say that maybe your equipment may not be a bit off. Wouldn't hurt to get it checked out!

That's a simple answer to a different question.

The OP didn't ask whether he was as good as a tour pro; he asked about the wheres and whys of the difference. Presumably with a view to trying to close the gap somewhat.

I don't know Golfball, and I don't know Dudley Hart - but a couple of things spring to mind. One is clubhead speed - of which, most tour pros have more than most amateurs. My guess is that it takes quite a bit of clubhead speed to cut out long, but shallow, divots.

The other is consistency of swing. I suppose that, on perfect grass, a divot would tell you just about everything about your swing. Flipside is that any inconsistency in any aspect of path or plane will show up in your divot.

Equipment wise, I guess that sharp edged blades are going to result in a more defined divot more easily than clubs with a load of bounce in the sole.

I like the idea of seeking more consistency, but it really might be that trying to mimick Mr. Hart's swing, and divots is not a good idea.

I

Do you hit consistent launch angle / trajectory?

Usually. I'm no pro, but yes, I usually produce a good mid-traj on a normal shot.

If the trajectory does not change for thin divots, that would indicate to me that forward lean & AoA do change.

Flatter VSP or higher hands or...? Or maybe visual trajectory observation is not accurate enough to see forward lean / AoA changes?

Trackman or Flighscope might be able to tell you what happens.

Last edited:
I like the idea of seeking more consistency, but it really might be that trying to mimick Mr. Hart's swing, and divots is not a good idea.

It's not me trying to emulate Dudley, it's the fact that his swing carries the dynamics of a tour pro that result in the "perfect" divots that I would like to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.