Do we need new terms for ball flight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we throw out the terms Pull Hook and Push Slice since both can be accomplished with a path that is on target?

dbl

New
Interesting point Ringer.

Maybe you can keep it, but need to flesh out all the descriptions:
Push draw (ball starts right and curves left)
Starting straight draw
Straight path draw
Obscene Hook-starts left and goes much further left ("pull hook" or "pulled path hook")

I know your point, but I'd so no, not right now.

Guys are having a tough enough time understanding D-plane - it'll probably take another year or two for folks actually interested in learning it to get it.

I know some might say that it would might help - but I'd stay stick with what folks can grasp right now and focus on learning D-plane for what it is.

Like mjstrong said, cause and effect.

We all know what Push Draw means, let's keep that for now.

Edit: I wanted to add that the misunderstanding of D plane is occuring elsewhere, not here, for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:
No, leave them as they are because they are visual descriptions. Afterall, what do the terms "fade" or "draw" mean outside of golf? And besides irons are not made of iron and woods are not made of wood.

Ringer makes a good point. BUT I don't think that new terminology is needed or helpful. Only because the only way that you'll KNOW whether your pull-hook, or push-slice, is the result of an on-target path is if you're using a launch monitor (or are highly confident in the reading of divots). But if you're on a LM, then you don't need the terminology to describe your shot - you've got the numbers to describe the shot, and the swing, in much greater precision.

ggsjpc

New
Should we throw out the terms Pull Hook and Push Slice since both can be accomplished with a path that is on target?

Why would the fact that the path is not in the direction of the initial flight cause us to remove the vernacular for describing how the ball flew relative to the target line?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
A vote for new terms....

NO CURVE:

Straight Ball
Push
Pull

SLIGHT to MODERATE CURVE AT THE TARGET:

Draw
Fade

LARGE CURVE AT THE TARGET:

Hook
Slice

SLIGHT to MODERATE CURVE TOWARD THE TARGET, but not enough to get TO THE TARGET:

Under-Draw
Under-Fade

SLIGHT to MODERATE CURVE TOWARD THE TARGET, but TOO MUCH and finishes PAST TARGET:

Over-Draw
Over-Fade

LARGE CURVE TOWARD THE TARGET, but not enough to get TO THE TARGET:

Under-Hook
Under-Slice

LARGE CURVE TOWARD THE TARGET, but TOO MUCH and finishes PAST TARGET:

Over-Hook
Over-Slice

SLIGHT to MODERATE CURVE THAT STARTS ON "opposite side" of THE TARGET, and curves FURTHER WAY from THE TARGET:

Left-to-Left
Right-to-Right

LARGE CURVE THAT STARTS ON "opposite side" of THE TARGET, and curves FURTHER WAY from THE TARGET:

Snap Hook
Snap Slice

I think it would help IMMENSELY if the lexicon changed. The terms "pull" and "push" are just too deeply associated with path. No one thinks they are pushing or pulling the clubface, they think they are pushing or pulling on the path.

Ask anyone (who doesn't know D Plane) how to fix a pull hook, and they'll immediately say they need to swing more to the right. Same with a push slice.

I am willing to start using Brian's terms. They are far more accurate.

I think it would help IMMENSELY if the lexicon changed. The terms "pull" and "push" are just too deeply associated with path. No one thinks they are pushing or pulling the clubface, they think they are pushing or pulling on the path.

Ask anyone (who doesn't know D Plane) how to fix a pull hook, and they'll immediately say they need to swing more to the right. Same with a push slice.

I am willing to start using Brian's terms. They are far more accurate.

How do you define a pull hook? I think it would be closest to B's left-to-left.

I do like the terms. I just would like D plane easier to grasp. Too much noise out there, basically.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.