Does extensor action help with lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I struggle with collapsing my left arm at the top and my right arm gets too bent (> 90 degrees). I also lose the lag in my downswing. I am wondering if extensor action would help keep the lag or do the two have nothing to do with each other. Thanks for your help!

Mike

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
IMO no, it helps keep structure to your swing and if anything it will help you to create more of a sweep/random release because you are using so much right arm pressure.

Extensor action is one of those things best left alone unless you are someone who needs it. The only time i ever have to teach someone about extensor action is when i teach them to reach the TSP. So many of my students were always short of it and had to bend the left arm to get there.

So i show them some extensor action to keep it straight again. If you are losing lag on the downswing it's most likely because you aren't using your pivot correctly and moving the hands with your hands instead of with the body.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I struggle with collapsing my left arm at the top and my right arm gets too bent (> 90 degrees). I also lose the lag in my downswing. I am wondering if extensor action would help keep the lag or do the two have nothing to do with each other. Thanks for your help!

Mike

There IS one thing that OVER-BENDING your right arm can cause to happen that would make for less accumulator lag:

The movement of the hands TOWARD the golfer's right as the ARM re-Straightens on the downswing. If the clubhead goes as well...that's that.

A little goes a long way.

Having said that, one of my best students has nearly NO EXTENSOR ACTION at the top of his swing. He came to me a 95 shooter about 4 years ago, and he shot par this past year!

That's why it isn't an imperative. ;)

work on lag.

Damn! I thought that would be a easy fix for my lag problem. Thank you for the answer(s)- I will go back to working on sustaining the lag.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.