Does the clubface turn down at impact in the golf swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you make a good swing does the face of the club turn down through the impact interval, maybe a moment our two after after impact?

We know the ball is only on the face and instant so this really is just a question of what the clubface is doing and not any affects on ball flight.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
If you make a good swing does the face of the club turn down through the impact interval, maybe a moment our two after after impact?

We know the ball is only on the face and instant so this really is just a question of what the clubface is doing and not any affects on ball flight.

During impact, the club does practically NOTHING as far as closing, but a decent little amount in vertical gear effect.

S

SteveT

Approaching Impact in final Release, the clubface will close because of the location of the CofG exerting a centrifugal and axial torque on the shaft tip.

Drivers with a backset CofG, the face will close as the eccentric CofG attempts to align to the shaft axis. Irons with heavy backweighting and offset leading edges will also attempt to close. Compact blade-style irons will not twist the shaft tip axially, but will torque the tip centrifugally causing the shaft to droop.

Upon Impact the driver head will kick back and be force slightly open before it whips back and slingshots the ball off the face. This kick back effect was observed in a scientific experiment in 1994, and a paper was published in Science and Golf II - Cochran and Farrallay.

Now if you add in COR face springiness, you have another variable. The stiffness of the shaft and the clubhead speed will also affect the orientation of the driver face into Impact.

You must match your shaft to your swing speed and downswing shaft loading profile to bring the beast under control ... :D

I think my question was more novice than your detailed response. I have been able to get my hands farther ahead at impact combined with a more decending blow creating more compression of the ball.......but I have had this different felling of the clubface closing during the impact and beginning of the followthrough, rather than the held off glancing feel that I normally get.

I was just wonder if this was the product of the impact alignments improving or if I am mechanically doing something to "close" the face.

Ballflight is fade, played from a steeper angle of attack, with a path left of the ball target line.

PS: dang thats hard for me not to use any TGM terms.

Approaching Impact in final Release, the clubface will close because of the location of the Drivers with a backset CofG, the face will close as the eccentric CofG attempts to align to the shaft axis. Irons with heavy backweighting and offset leading edges will also attempt to close. Compact blade-style irons will not twist the shaft tip axially, but will torque the tip centrifugally causing the shaft to droop.
Now, that is some excellent stuff. Thank you Steve. Now I know where to put the weights in my FastTrack driver. They will be towards the face so that the face doesn't close too much when the CofG tries to align with the shaft axis. And yes, I have hook problems, and I'm starting to think that some of it is the equipments fault. Nice to put the blame on something other than me :D

I wonder if anyone will understand when I tell them why the weights are forward :D

Approaching Impact in final Release, the clubface will close because of the location of the CofG exerting a centrifugal and axial torque on the shaft tip.

Drivers with a backset CofG, the face will close as the eccentric CofG attempts to align to the shaft axis. Irons with heavy backweighting and offset leading edges will also attempt to close. Compact blade-style irons will not twist the shaft tip axially, but will torque the tip centrifugally causing the shaft to droop.

Upon Impact the driver head will kick back and be force slightly open before it whips back and slingshots the ball off the face. This kick back effect was observed in a scientific experiment in 1994, and a paper was published in Science and Golf II - Cochran and Farrallay.

Now if you add in COR face springiness, you have another variable. The stiffness of the shaft and the clubhead speed will also affect the orientation of the driver face into Impact.

You must match your shaft to your swing speed and downswing shaft loading profile to bring the beast under control ... :D

SteveT 1 or SteveT 2,
Please present your personal experiences in clubshaft geometry Clubfitting or training such as working for the Solheim's or playing golf with Mr. Sheely. Any source information would expand the knowledge of all Forum members. Maybe you were a OEM Rep. for example.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
II have been able to get my hands farther ahead at impact combined with a more decending blow creating more compression of the ball

That's great.

Just remember, make sure your left shoulder pulls on the handle during the last phase of the downswing so that you get HOSEL LEAN without chocolate caked sized divots.

......but I have had this different felling of the clubface closing during the impact and beginning of the followthrough, rather than the held off glancing feel that I normally get.

Lots of folks think that more HOSEL LEAN will mean BALL GOES FURTHER RIGHT DUE TO OPEN FACE.

But often, the opposite happens.

To get the face to move toward a "mashing" attitude, you have to "get behind it."

If you are "behind it" correctly, you can not also be "under it."

Capisce??

dang thats hard for me not to use any TGM terms.

But it made for a MUCH better conversation for you, me, and the rest of golf that visits this site.

S

SteveT

I have been able to get my hands farther ahead at impact combined with a more descending blow creating more compression of the ball.......but I have had this different felling of the clubface closing during the impact and beginning of the followthrough, rather than the held off glancing feel that I normally get.
I was just wonder if this was the product of the impact alignments improving or if I am mechanically doing something to "close" the face.
Ballflight is fade, played from a steeper angle of attack, with a path left of the ball target line..

I get it, you are talking about face closing applied due to the golfswing and not as a consequence of the clubhead reactions.

What you may be "feeling" is the over-pronation of your rear hand going into Impact, which will close the face substantially plus your leading hands which reduces dynamic loft ... and adding that to the reactive face closing, you get "over-closure"! Do your forearms aggressively cross over each other immediately after Impact?

As for your feel of "more compression", that may be due to impacting with a reduced dynamic loft. Is your ball fade trajectory somewhat low ..???

Last edited:
I get it, you are talking about face closing applied due to the golfswing and not as a consequence of the clubhead reactions.

What you may be "feeling" is the over-pronation of your lead hand going into Impact, which will close the face substantially plus your leading hands which reduces dynamic loft ... and adding that to the reactive face closing, you get "over-closure"! Do your forearms aggressively cross over each other immediately after Impact?

As for your feel of "more compression", that may be due to impacting with a reduced dynamic loft. Is your ball fade trajectory somewhat low ..???

Lead Hand Pronation Delofts and Opens the Face. Please explain how you have arrived at this hypothesis above. What empirical data have you collected and or consumed that you might permit us to see.

Last edited:
Littleacorns: why do you not ask everyone on this forum about source every time they say something? Why only when SteveT says something?

Maybe you're suffering from "SteveT bashing personality disorder" :O ;) I wonder if there's a youtube channel for that one?...

Status
Not open for further replies.