double hit chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
In honor of the 1985 US Open and Andy North's win when TC Chen double hit a chip shot, how do you keep from doing this round killer? My course has long rough around the green and since double hitting one a week ago I am terrified every time I stand up to a chip shot in the rough. No issues from the fairway or a good lie, only when the ball is in the rough. How do I stop this?

Interested in this as well

I did this yesterday, and have done it numerous times before, including a club championship round. Always occurs out of long rough as well.

Two totally different ways to accomplish the double chip.

#1. take a backswing that is way too short and forces you to over-accelerate through the ball to get enough power into the shot.

#2. take a backswing that is a little too long, then fail to accelerate enough on the way down that you have to over-accelerate through the ball too much in order to get enough power.

Another ingredient that tends to make this shot 'more possible' is non-centered contact on the face.

Too much wrist flip and too straight swing path. Swinging "down the line" and letting the club head pass the hands is Disaster. Swing more left coming through with a slightly open face and hold the club head back a bit.

DCgolf's explanation goes in my saved folder. This is exactly what I sometimes do, even though I know to do what DC says. Once the doubt enters your mind it is tough to suppress. Brian diagnosed my pop out chipping problem a couple of years ago. Did it yesterday. called it on myself. Totally maddening!

Status
Not open for further replies.