Downswing: Hands behind me and laid off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, struggling with the club getting really laid off when I transition into the downswing and my hands seem to get way behind me. Coming into the ball my hands seem real low and right next to my front right pocket. Very inconsistent right now with the occasional "skank". Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!!

Curtis

For DIY Session

To bring it in for a soft landing and still score:

Check your left hand on the grip. Your left hand may be a bit weak.

Sometimes a good player gets a bit behind with a weak grip, a block occurs or a fast hands rotation, compensation, right up to impact.

Even if you are "stuck", a stronger left hand can be effective, because it's simpler to square up the face, and you are prepared for it.

Just some quick adjustments to try that have helped me. Get the hands as high as you can at the top of the backswing. I don't think the low hands is too much of a problem, but I would try to get the hands going closer the lead hip pocket. This should help get you swing left more.

Well I just checked some of my old posts from last year as this was a problem at the end of the year. Brian mentioned watching a Kuchar video he posted on golf.com. I really think the pizza tray type position at the top will help a TON. Slapped on a stronger right hand grip that Rick mentioned and that might be the ticket as it felt like I could go hard at the ball and not worry about getting laid off/underplane and leaving the clubhead way open. Hit a few plastic balls in the living room, felt good other than the broken light (wife really hates when I do that).

Would a strong left hand grip and a pizza tray position at the top be like a Boo Weekley type swing? Isn't his face really closed at the top? BTW so nice to see him win. It's pretty hard not to route for a guy like that.

Koooch video: Get a consistent golf swing like Matt Kuchar - Video - GOLF.com

The key destination is the left arm to clubshaft offset angle.

To get there, keep the head outside the hands on the way up.

But, all good pizza comes to those who wait.

The sole side of the whole club rises and the pizza doesn't get the cheese until the top.

Dump it early, no cheese.

I remember in Rome there was a little pizza maker named Gepetto.

It didn't matter what the order was, every pizza got two things before the oven; a drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of salt.

The line of people, was out the door and around the corner.

Last edited:
The key destination is the left arm to clubshaft offset angle.

To get there, keep the head outside the hands on the way up.

But, all good pizza comes to those who wait.

The sole side of the whole club rises and the pizza doesn't get the cheese until the top.

Dump it early, no cheese.

I remember in Rome there was a little pizza maker named Gepe
tto.

It didn't matter what the order was, every pizza got two things before the oven; a drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of salt.

The line of people, was out the door and around the corner.

"so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm"

ej20

New
Got to see the swing to determine if you are laid off at the top or laid off in transition.If you are laid off at the top with a very rotated left arm,you need to come over the top on the downswing to get back on a good plane.

Most good players are a little short of being laid off at the top and then put a little lay off move in the transition to get the club on plane early and from there it's a cinch.For me the so called "slot" is where the club points at the ball by the time the hands are at or just below shoulder height in the downswing.If you are very laid off at the top,you can't use this lay off move which I believe has a number of benefits if the penny drops for you with this move.

Brick Top

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2xUynRdzzsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.