Downswing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

My swing is definately improving since finding this forum and Brian's videos so thanks for all the input both direct and indirect. :D

One thing I am having a little trouble with is the forearm rotation in the downswing. I pronate the left forearm in the backswing but in the downswing I either don't supinate at all(very ugly) or just not enough to square the clubface resulting in a straight push to the right of varying degrees(my usual miss).

So given my problem does anyone know a good drill to reinforce that supination movement for the downswing?

Christopher

Never Slice Again 2.0 DVD Candidate

Hi guys,

My swing is definately improving since finding this forum and Brian's videos so thanks for all the input both direct and indirect. :D

One thing I am having a little trouble with is the forearm rotation in the downswing. I pronate the left forearm in the backswing but in the downswing I either don't supinate at all(very ugly) or just not enough to square the clubface resulting in a straight push to the right of varying degrees(my usual miss).

So given my problem does anyone know a good drill to reinforce that supination movement for the downswing?

Christopher

Do you have Brian's Never Slice Again 2.0 DVD? I'm betting everything you need is in there. One of its many helpful items is the "wedding ring up" finish. If you make this your destination, you will rotate the face correctly. This will give you a different approach to solve your problem. Any left arm chicken wing will dissappear. Much, much more information is in this supurb DVD.

Thanks for the reply.

I already have the video but by the sounds of it I need to watch it again. I don't know why I didn't think the "wedding ring up" move didn't apply to my problem :eek: Too much ego maybe ;)

I'll give it a try and see how it goes this week. I'll report back. Thanks again.

Christopher

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
You might be doing something in the transitionthat is making the counter clockwise torque harder to do and the forearm is staying open too long

Burner

New
Steering......................

Failure to close an opened club face in the down swing is symptomatic of steering - club face held square to the target line in the hope of hitting the ball straight at the target.

The correct feeling of how the club operates, without special attention being needed from the player, can be obtained by making left arm only swings - no ball needed. Just swing the club and feel the correct motion.

Once you have that feeling ingrained you can then address other swing issues; if still necessary.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I FIND YOUR ANSWER VERY INTERESTING....could you please give an example??

thanks

An example would be too much arm travel in the backswing, making the turn over taut and tugging, or over accelerating the lead arm in the startdown.

Keeps the face open too long. Then....flippity dippity doo

S

SteveT

So given my problem does anyone know a good drill to reinforce that supination movement for the downswing

Supination of the lead left forearm is not caused by an applied torquing of the left hand, because the timing of such an action to square the clubface through Impact is next to impossible.

The supination should happen naturally if your body sequencing is correct and the flow of kinetic energy from your body will naturally square the clubface.

If your hips or shoulders are blocking or stalling ever so slightly, you will upset your kinetic sequencing and the natural supination of your left hand.

Try some free swings at full speed to feel the whipsnapping of the club as you approach final Release into Impact.

Supination of the lead left forearm is not caused by an applied torquing of the left hand, because the timing of such an action to square the clubface through Impact is next to impossible.

The supination should happen naturally if your body sequencing is correct and the flow of kinetic energy from your body will naturally square the clubface.

If your hips or shoulders are blocking or stalling ever so slightly, you will upset your kinetic sequencing and the natural supination of your left hand.

Try some free swings at full speed to feel the whipsnapping of the club as you approach final Release into Impact.

Don't try to help an open faced slicer with this advice.

I bet this guy is twisting the shaft pretty hard half way through the downswing to the finish because of his initial downswing reverse tumble and weak grip:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l1i9jyUJ9Q&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Last edited:
S

SteveT

I bet this guy is twisting the shaft pretty hard half way through the downswing to the finish because of his initial downswing reverse tumble and weak grip:]

If he's flip-supinating his lead hand and flipping the clubface at the ball, how can he achieve any D-plane control ???

If he's flip-supinating his lead hand and flipping the clubface at the ball, how can he achieve any D-plane control ???

Must be a talented person. I don't know, but it looks if he doesn't roll the lead arm/wrist/hand when he does, then he will never get the face where it needs to be.

An example would be too much arm travel in the backswing, making the turn over taut and tugging, or over accelerating the lead arm in the startdown.

Keeps the face open too long. Then....flippity dippity doo

Thanks Kevin,

I shortened my backswing a little and all fixed. :D I won't say I was perfectly smashing it every time but the round today I shot 14 under my handicap and it felt easy. Now lets see if it stays for Sat comp.:)

Thanks again.

Christopher

Status
Not open for further replies.