Dragging the Club Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwh

New
I posted on Lynn Blake's (Yoda)Forum that I have been having success in dragging the club back at Start-Up -- the bend in my Left Wrist increases and my Right Wrist arches. Lynn posted that this technique was one of Homer's revisions to be published in the 7th Edition. I like the idea of immediately establishing clubhead Lag on the Backswing because it just seems to naturally reverse itself into Downswing Lag.

I didn't recall where I had heard about that techique and EdZ reminded me that it's in Brian's video. Obviously, the information has been in the Incubator and only recently "hatched".

Big thanks to you, Brian -- it's a great tip.

I recently read somewhere that that backswing guarantees a Pivot Controlled Hands procedure. It's essentially an "anti Right Forearm Pickup" backswing.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I have had LOTS of success teaching some golfers the "Drag Away" takeaway.

It does PLENTY of good things like:

No reverse pivot
Float Loading
Shaft stressing
downswing INSIDE of backswing (not flatter...INSIDE as in narrower)

Proving that while Right Forearm Pickup is ideal...is is NOT the only way.

holenone

Banned
quote:Originally posted by brianman
... while Right Forearm Pickup is ideal...is is NOT the only way.

The Lagging Clubhead Takeaway (Unpublished 7th Edition 10-9-A) does not preclude the Right Forearm Pickup (7-3). In fact, the Swinger should still use his Right Forearm to take the Club up the Turned Shoulder Plane. Otherwise, he will have no choice but to begin on the Elbow Plane, and this mandates a Shift -- always hazardous -- to arrive at the Top on the Turned Shoulder Plane.

This particular application of the Right Forearm Takeaway utilizes Extensor Action (moving from Bent Left Wrist to Flat Left Wrist per 6-B-1-d)in conjunction with the Lagging Clubhead Takeaway that sets up his "Swinging Motion" (per 7-9) and Drag Loading (per 7-19-3).

Hitters can use the Lagging Clubhead Takeaway, but they are better served using a Non-Lagging Clubhead Takeaway to set up their Drive Loading per 7-19-1.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You are (obviously) very correct, Mr. Lynn.

I should have written it this way: The STANDARDly THOUGHT-OF RFP is not the only way...

holenone

Banned
quote:Originally posted by brianman

You are (obviously) very correct, Mr. Lynn.

I should have written it this way: The STANDARDly THOUGHT-OF RFP is not the only way...

Right, Brian.

Most golfers execute the Lagging Clubhead Takeaway with a big Body Turn (only) that keeps the Clubhead very low and drags it sharply to the inside. This puts the Club well under the most desired Turned Shoulder Plane and necessitates an upward Plane Shift to re-align.

Thus, many modern teachers and players, e.g., Jack Nicklaus, correctly stress keeping the Clubhead 'outside the Hands' on the Backstroke. Unfortunately, they rarely give you the precision guidelines necessary to do so and also keep the Sweet Spot precisely On Plane.

The Golfing Machine.

Gotta love it!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Cool.

Also, JW Nicklaus has a "Handle-first" Takeaway.

At address the clubhaft points 'up' his left arm, but later in the takeaway the butt points mid-body.

A different version YET, of the "handle-first" takeaway made popular by Harry Vardon, Walter hagan and Bobby Jones!

Is that where the clubhead lags behind your hands at the beginning of the takeaway and then kinda 'whips up' from it's own momentum and cocks?

I guess that certainly adds to Nicklaus' high flight.

I am a drag takeaway believer, but again if we think about too much of it, I will end up not be able to cock my right wrist and elbow effectively, and end up having a flat takeaway. Either we have to accelerate hard on take away in order to stress the shaft, or we would have to make sure our right wrist is correctly hinge on takeaway. But by doing so, it is difficult to maintain the cocking motion during takeaway.
Now the question is, a lot of people believe that as long as you can maintain the forward lining shaft on chipping you are alright. If the above is the suggested form, then we are not exactly hinging the wrist, instead controlling the timing and holding on to the wrist. And personally by doing so, I would say that it will have less feel on distance.
My believe is, it is better to maintain a soft right wrist "Arch to Flat" during the takeaway on chipping (Wrist pivot) and that will help us to have more feel on the distance rather then thinking of using the shoulder centre line to act as the pivot.
Talking about the downswing on Chipping and putting, since the force requirement on chipping and putting are relatively low, unlike a full swing. Do we relying on the forward direction speed (hand before the clubhead) to create the forward lining shaft or we are commanding the right wrist to bent. SINCE THE WRIST is in a hinging state.
I do hope that the above limited presentation could reflect what I am trying to ask.

quote:Originally posted by birdie_man

quote:Originally posted by oztrainee

I am a drag takeaway believer, but again if we think about too much it will lead to what Birdie_man's quote.

Uh....what?
Sorry mate, was 3 'o clock in the morning in my side of the world. Actually I was addressing the wrist cock issue. I had changed the posting content already.

So here's an interesting question for Brian and/or Lynn: What's your idea of the precise feel to keep the clubhead outside the hands while doing a shoulder turn takeaway, so that the clubhead does not get dragged to the inside and below plane halfway up?

Status
Not open for further replies.