Driver Comparisons - Anyone did one lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Gonna be shopping for a new driver soon and just wanted to hear if any of the forum members have done some driver comparisons lately? I realize the individuality of the selection process for each golfer and the importance of getting fitted, just wanted to hear about the comparisons that were made, how they were tested and compared and what the final decision was for each.

Tim

I just went from a Ping G-10 to the R11s. A whole world of difference.. the R11s, for me, is like night and day compared to the G-10.

Now, I didn't do any real custom fitting and all that.. I had done some for the G-10, but I went to the driving range several days under different conditions, including some very windy days, and hit both Drivers.. usually 5-10 with each, back and forth. One of the main reasons for trying the R11s was finding out the G-10 has a very high spin rate. Bad for me.

I'm driving the ball much further - at least 20 yds - but I'm not a long hitter by any measure. Heck, I'm still only in the 200-220 range... with roll. I'm still in the short grass most of the time :) and being there and longer is much more fun. I can now see Par 4s. :cool:

Unscientific, but that's my story. And I'm sticking to it.

hp12c

New
I just went from a Ping G-10 to the R11s. A whole world of difference.. the R11s, for me, is like night and day compared to the G-10.

Now, I didn't do any real custom fitting and all that.. I had done some for the G-10, but I went to the driving range several days under different conditions, including some very windy days, and hit both Drivers.. usually 5-10 with each, back and forth. One of the main reasons for trying the R11s was finding out the G-10 has a very high spin rate. Bad for me.

I'm driving the ball much further - at least 20 yds - but I'm not a long hitter by any measure. Heck, I'm still only in the 200-220 range... with roll. I'm still in the short grass most of the time :) and being there and longer is much more fun. I can now see Par 4s. :cool:

200-220 in the short grass, cant play u for money:mad:

Your story is interesting because I am currently hitting a G10 and did notice that the spin rate was high and was wondering about the R11. Thanks for the feedback.

I would highly recommend that you find a Trackman to get fitted on. There will be a number of shaft/head combinations that will work very well for you.

However, without accurate assessment of launch angle, spin, angle of attack, and landing angle, I'm afraid there will be some guesswork and possible error involved in your fitting.

What kind of ball flight do you have? Is it too high or low? What kind of clubhead speed and distance do you have?

I tried everything and I mean everything. Ended up getting the mizuno 650. It has a little shorter shaft which I liked, it takes the left side out of play altogether, the spin rate was around 900 less rpm's, it was 10-15 yards longer than every other driver I tried. Love it. High launch, low spin, great feel.

I thought the R11 and R11s were both spinny heads. All TM heads, sans the tour heads, are kinda elongated.

Get with a real fitter. Drivers are a very touchy and subjective issue.

Dave,

Yup, with you on the fitting, just wanted to hear people's story's as to their search for a better driver, as well as some of the surprises that came from that search, like magic and his Mizuno. Thanks to everyone for their responses.

I was playing a Titleist 975D for years. Went for a Trackman fitting and picked up twenty yards carry instantly with the newer drivers, the longest of which was the Adams Fast 12 (don't know if it was the weight or the aerodynamics, but it really was faster than everything else I tried). The biggest issue the fitter and I had was trying to get the spin down, trying to keep the left shot at bay. Looking at the smash factor and the flight pattern, I'm betting I was hitting it off the toe all session, but that's another story.

The good thing about the process was that we tried out tons of head/shaft combinations, so I was able to get an idea of what I would need, so that I could shop around on my own for something in my price range. I ended up purchasing an 8.5* Adams 9064ls and putting a Protopype 70x in it. Longer and easier to hit that the Titleist I'd been using the past 10 years.

You don't have to get fit, obviously. But I'm a firm believer now that anyone who doesn't do it at least once to learn what kind of setup will suit them best is cheating themselves, especially if you fall outside of the range of what's considered average, on either the faster or slower side. They're relying on blind luck to find something that fits them nicely, and that doesn't have to happen with all of the tools available to the modern golfer. It's not a gimmick; if you can get fit, or at the very least get in a situation where you can try out multiple driver setups, make it happen. It makes a difference.

The only other thing I would say is be patient and thorough. Know what you're looking for, or figure it out through the testing process, and don't settle. There are so many options out there, that just about every person who hits a golf ball should be able to do so with a driver that works for them, and it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, either.

Last edited:
I ended up purchasing an 8.5* Adams 9064ls and putting a Protopype 70x in it.

Good very tip stiff shaft. In fact I like it so much I used it for the footings on my house... :)

073291053666lg.jpg

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Everyone is raving about the Cleveland Classic.

Personally i'm a fan of the 910 D3; loft/lie/face angle are independantly adjustable and it looks gorgeous. Get a loft lower than you think because you can go up 2* in loft but i think only 1 less.

jimmyt

New
Surprisingly have heard nothing about the Callaway RAZR Fit. I was a loyal Titleist Driver & 3 wood user for years.(Still play Titleist irons).

I went to a Callaway Center here in town, spent about 2 hours being fit until my dispersion pattern was small as possible, then pulled the trigger on a purchase of Driver & 3 wood. The clube out performs my old Titleist Driver with longer starighter drives. Have to admit however I was not officially fit with my old Titleist Driver and 3 wood as I was with the new Callaway.

Not the point I think this is a great club...............JMO

Everyone is raving about the Cleveland Classic.

Personally i'm a fan of the 910 D3; loft/lie/face angle are independantly adjustable and it looks gorgeous. Get a loft lower than you think because you can go up 2* in loft but i think only 1 less.

i don't know if it's just me but the stock shaft on 910 sucks balls

i don't know if it's just me but the stock shaft on 910 sucks balls

Which one - isn't there 2 or 3 that are standard? I know on the D2 you can get it with the Ahina, K'aili, Iliama or Bassara I think? ( and I know they are all "made for" versions )

"Personally i'm a fan of the 910 D3; loft/lie/face angle are independantly adjustable and it looks gorgeous. Get a loft lower than you think because you can go up 2* in loft but i think only 1 less."

I have the 910 D3 in 8.5. I ordered it 44.5 length and D3 Swingweight. Loft adjustment from Std. is 0.75 deg. or 1.5 degrees, or down .75 degrees. Lie Angle adustment is more upright either 0.75 or 1.5. Lie Angle down is 0.75 from Std. Standard Face Angle is 0.5 degrees open and is not adjustable.

Adjustments are the same on all clubs that have the standard sleeve. There are aftermarket sleeves with different adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.