Driver contact

Status
Not open for further replies.
What causes hits high on the driver face yet a low ball flight?? The driver is a Titleist 909 D3 which has a deep face.

There was another thread on this forum where Brian had someone move the ball beyond the left toe for the driver. I tried that two days ago (moved it forward off the left toe, not past the toe) and the results were astounding. I was able to swing as hard as I could and the ball kept going straight. Then I remembered reading something somewhere about the sweetspot of today's driver being higher up on the face toward the toe. So I adjusted my tee height to try to get to that sweetspot. I got pretty close and then went looking for info on how get there consistently and if it really helps get you more distance.

I found this article --> Maximizing Driver Distance using a Trackman or Flightscope Launch Monitor

About halfway down, in the paragraph under the photo of where Tiger Woods contacts the ball with his driver is this explanation, "The reason for this high contact is two fold: Spin reduction and LA."

I'm guessing the spin reduction part of that quote answers at least part of your question.

For the instructors, does that higher-up contact on the driver face truly help increase driver distance?

Last edited:
i wish i had that problem. my contact is centered but too often on the lower part of the face. i'm sure this causes too much spin and i lose distance.

Nice article, I liked this quote:

"Achieving a level or even upward angle of attack is not the same as hitting "up" on the ball. It is important that your hands be in line or slightly ahead of the clubhead at impact. Note I said "clubhead" and not the ball. There is a big difference. In other words, you never flip your hands at the ball in order to increase your angle of attack, rather, you need some spinal tilt away from the target to achieve this position."

I think sometimes I try to hit up on the driver and I have a little flip which sends me to the left.

For the instructors, does that higher-up contact on the driver face truly help increase driver distance?

For most people, yes. Since hitting the face higher on the face both increases launch angle and reduces spin, most people will hit that shot further than an all-else-being-equal shot lower on the face. Take it from a guy who had hit it low on the face for a very long time, and am hitting it much further now mostly from contact change.

It can be tough for some people to get used to - different approach than irons.

Status
Not open for further replies.