Driver length and distance, accuracy test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I've written about this before with empirical data, nice to see actual data made. Essentially if you can improve your smash factor numbers with a shorter driver and not lose much clubhead speed (which this shows on average they don't) the improved average ball speed will make your average drives longer.

The thing that surprised me was that the lack of actual swing speed change, i would have guessed it would have been more.

Keep in mind if you are going to do this you need a weigh to increase the clubhead weight; thankfully with adjustable drivers you should be able to get screws to do it.

Would there be a big difference between gripping down by an inch or two or actually playing a shorter shaft?
So could you just grip down and get the same effect?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Would there be a big difference between gripping down by an inch or two or actually playing a shorter shaft?
So could you just grip down and get the same effect?

Yes, but, you will alter the swingweight a lot by gripping down and it may effect your tempo/swing plane/etc.

Can you simply cut off the end of a driver shaft without causing too much harm?

Depends on the meaning of "too much harm". As with most things, it helps to educate yourself before you
go whacking off your driver. Lot's of info on the internet. Swingweight goes down, but how much? You really need a proper swingweight scale. Then you need a clean way to increase the headweight. Leadtape on a Driver is not a good solution. Removable weight driver heads would probably be the best approach. I ordered my Titleist D3 at 44.5" with D4 swingweight and they accomplished it using only a heavier weight in the port. By the way, oversize grips also alter the swingweight. Lot's of variables.

Depends on the meaning of "too much harm". As with most things, it helps to educate yourself before you
go whacking off your driver. Lot's of info on the internet. Swingweight goes down, but how much? You really need a proper swingweight scale. Then you need a clean way to increase the headweight. Leadtape on a Driver is not a good solution. Removable weight driver heads would probably be the best approach. I ordered my Titleist D3 at 44.5" with D4 swingweight and they accomplished it using only a heavier weight in the port. By the way, oversize grips also alter the swingweight. Lot's of variables.

If the head doesn't have an adjustable swingweight screw, many OEM's put a port that you'll find on the sole side of the head. This port allows the head to be hotmelted to add weight to the head in order to play it at a shorter length.

I couldn't find any club-makers in my area that had the heating tool to add weight, so I sent two heads back to Cobra to be hotmelted. They did a good job and it was only $10.00 plus shipping.

Also, in general 1/2" length changes swingweight ~ 3 points. So, a D4 at 45.5" would roughly be a D1 at 45" with no change to head weight. Changing shaft weight also alters swingweight (heavier shaft increases swingweight). Some golfers are more swingweight sensitive than others. I personally like the length to be ~ 45" and seem to be fine with a D2-D5 swingweight. To get in this range I find I like the head to weigh ~ 200 grams and shaft weight ~ 65 grams.

I should add that 3 of my heads have an adjustable hosel which weighs ~ 6 grams, so that should be taken into account also.

Last edited:

ej20

New
That study is a little flawed in my opinion.If you want a longer driver to achieve more clubhead speed,you will need a lighter shaft to keep the weight the same.No point getting a longer shaft only to increase the overall weight of the club.

This guy tested the Cobra Long Tom 48 inch driver with an overall weight of 275g.He used a trackman and found he increased his clubhead speed 6mph over normal length drivers.

Of course accuracy will be another matter but you will have the potential for more chs with a longer,lighter driver.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
But wouldn't you change the swing weight as well when you shorten the shaft?

Yes, which is why i said above:

"Keep in mind if you are going to do this you need a weigh to increase the clubhead weight; thankfully with adjustable drivers you should be able to get screws to do it."

I would think you could fine tune graphite across those two variables (and others) better than steel. Just an opinion

Not disagreeing...just questioning how those variables would manifest themselves in terms of ballflight.

It's my suspicion that if graphite hadn't allowed manufacturers to sell "distance" in the form of longer and lighter shafts, we'd never have heard of the possibilities of tuning those other variables.

The other way of looking at this is to ask whether you'd want to manipulate ballflight via a change in shaft - or if you'd prefer to keep the shaft relatively constant, and introduce adjustability by way of the clubhead face angle and discretionary weight.

I would think this would tend to be all subjective. Cal Peete liked a longer driver because it helped him keep his tempo from getting too quick.

The other way of looking at this is to ask whether you'd want to manipulate ballflight via a change in shaft - or if you'd prefer to keep the shaft relatively constant, and introduce adjustability by way of the clubhead face angle and discretionary weight.

Think of it in terms of not adjusting ball flight via a shaft change, but adjusting how the club is swung via a change in shaft. It's a subtle but important distinction.

When you hand someone a club with a 2" difference in length (either way) you will also be most likely handing them a club with a different weight (even though swing weight can be the same), a different MOI, and a different feel. 99% of golfers will swing the two clubs differently... either with different paths, faces, acceleration profiles, release profiles, etc, etc, or with any combination of these. Changing the club will, with very very few exceptions, change the swing. Whether to the good or the bad is based on the individual.

The changes will most always give you ball flight changes, but not because of a clear cut change in equipment produced by the "same" swings. Although that would make equipment buying much easier. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.