Driver Sole Tee Marks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we expect to see a tee mark on the sole of the driver on a center-hit to go from front to back in a straight line (i.e the tee mark would be straight line from the center of the face to the center of the rear of the head)? Or - is there a torqueing of the head that occurs (even on sweetspot strikes) due to the offset of the sweetspot from the shaft that would cause the tee mark to curve from the center of hte face towards the toe of the rear of the head?

Is this much ado about nothing or are those marks on the sole of the driver telling us something?

In my experience, the tee marks will go directly front-to-back on center hits, will curve towards the toe for toe hits, etc. Basically, it seems the clubhead is rotating around its Cg on off-center hits.

No tee mark will be a straight line, since the clubhead doesn't move in a straight line for even an inch, through the zone.

natep

New
I have a feeling that there's a lot going on when the club impacts the tee. I dont think those marks on the bottom are simply mirror images of clubpath.

I guess you haven't seen the video of David Toms' club from above view.

No, I haven't. But other researchers, including Tuxen, have found that the clubhead changes horizontal direction just in the time that the ball is on the clubface, which is less than an inch. A few tenths of a degree change may be hard to discern, visually.

This is a trick question because...

The tee is not stationary through impact. The head is moving left/right and up/down. The tee is also doing the same, but at different rates and angles. Would somebody mind hitting a drive off a 16d nail embedded in a 2x4, and then report back what the"tee line" on the bottom of the club looks like?

Don't know why I didn't think to go look at some of the super high-speed vids of impact with the driver before asking this. Those sure look like the tee mark (now I'm talking about a tee that is still in the ground post-impact and leaning a tad forward so I don't think it's moving all around thru impact) would be pretty straight from front to back on a sweetspot hit.

Makes me wonder wtf I'm doing! :( My stock drive is a fade, so maybe that may account for some of it.

natep

New
For as long as I can remember, this is how my tee marks look when I hit a significant fade/cut (straight mark, ~90 degrees to face).

fademark.JPG

This is how they look on my best drives, either dead straight shots or slight draws (marks start out ~90 degrees to face, then curve).

drawmark.JPG

Pretty weird, but I've been seeing this pattern for many years.

Last edited:
For as long as I can remember, this is how my tee marks look when I hit a significant fade/cut (straight mark, ~90 degrees to face).

fademark.JPG

This is how they look on my best drives, either dead straight shots or slight draws (marks start out ~90 degrees to face, then curve).

drawmark.JPG

Pretty weird, but I've been seeing this pattern for many years.
Mine look the same, except I think they are the opposite. As in, when I'm hitting well, they're right down the middle. When I get the toey contact they start doing that little tail thing...as far as I know. I don't check tee marks all too often when I'm practicing though, just afterward.

natep

New
What I'm talking about arent misses, though. Dead solid, the mark starts in line with the sweetspot, then curves up (or not if I fade it). I drew that curved line sloppily, its supposed to start off straight just like the first one, then curve up towards the end. Its mostly (2/3) straight though.

Another thing, I've never EVER seen one of these marks curve the other way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.