Not open for further replies.
Here are my current launch statistics.

Club Head Speed = 112mph
Ball Speed = 164mph
Launch Angle = 13.2 degrees
Side Spin = 200 RPM
Back Spin = 4200 RPM
Carry Distance = 262 yards

I am using a Taylormade Burner TP 8.5 with a Mitsubishi Diamana White Board flexed at about 5.7 (soft stiff) 75grams.

I have a fast swing tempo while coming a little over the top. Both things I am trying to solve.

Do you guys have any suggestions or drills I could try that might reduce the amount of back spin? If I can achieve less spin my carry distance with those other stats could be as great as 284 yards. (in theory)

I will video tape my swing and post this evening.

The shaft flex may be a big contributor to your high spin rate. Assuming that "soft stiff" is on the regular side of stiff, it's probably not stiff enough for your swing speed. As a matter of fact, Mitsubishi's website has 106 mph swing speed in an X-flex for the White board shaft.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I have similar numbers. For starters you probably need an x flex. I swing between 112-115 and I have a 73g whiteboard x flex tipped that cpm's out at 275. Also theain problem with your spin rate is probably loft. With an over the top move you probably play a cut and to do that means the face has to be open at impcat and more loft equals more spin. Try and work on the ott move and open clubface before spending too much te being fitted.

So. It rained after work today so I didn't get a chance to video my swing. I work at a course and have access to a launch monitor so I can see how changing CPM and kick point of a shaft effects the spin rate.

Jim - just for a reference my driver is 45" with 254 CPM. Spined pretty perfectly. Couple questions for you if you don't mind.

What is your driver length and what head do you use?

Will changing the ball type have any noticable impact on spin rate? If so, I am now playing a Bridgestone B330S. Any recomendations? What ball do you play?

Thanks guys for you help. I really appreciate it. Is there a chart I could view of the the differenct optimum launch conditions for my swing speed?

I am in the same ballpark as you and Jim and was really not getting the distance on my driver i thought i should relative to my iron distance. I spent an hour at a place with good launch monitor and good staff. I ended up with a stiffer shaft (but not an x-flex) but more degrees loft on driver (my launch angle was low, spin was way too high). There was a definite grouping of the shots that made selecting clubs and shaft pretty easy. The club is not the one I would have picked on an aesthetic basis (new FT-5) but I can live with the sound for a straighter and ten yards longer drive.

The balls do make a difference especially if you tend towards too much spin.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Those are great numbers......I am jealous

I hit it straight, but only wish I had 115 worth of clubhead speed. Hell most of the pros on trackman don't even get to 110.

I am an assistant pro in Charlotte, NC. 6'2" 210lbs. I used to be an extreme flipper (passed the PAT that way) and could only get about 89mph with my driver. By my hands becoming slightly more educated (still a long way to go) and trying to stop overswinging I have my swing speed consistently around 110-115mph. My swing still has a lot of wasted energy. I am really looking forward to spending time with Brian in Atlanta and seeing where I can improve. (PIVOT!!!)

I will hit the range tomorrow and see what shaft flex and kick allow for less spin.

That brings up a great question. What shaft do you guys like to hit? Do you find that some inexpensive shafts are just as good or better then their higher priced alternatives?

I still think that out of most shafts I have hit. The ProForce V2 holds its own.

Your spin rate is super high! Getting an X-shaft is probably a good start but I'd focus more on your pattern first.

As far as shafts go, I swear by the V2. Diamana blueboard is also fantastic. Never hit any of the Matrix or Rombax shafts but would like to.

Chris Sturgess

112 clubhead speed and only 262 carry? The 4000 spin is really killing you. A 112 clubhead speed properly hit should fly around 285. Either your shaft is too whippy or you are chopping down steeply on the ball like a lumberjack.;)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim - just for a reference my driver is 45" with 254 CPM. Spined pretty perfectly. Couple questions for you if you don't mind.

What is your driver length and what head do you use?

I use a 45" driver, i have the 8.5* Callaway FT-I LCG (low center of gravity model) that is clocked open about 1.5*.

Will changing the ball type have any noticable impact on spin rate? If so, I am now playing a Bridgestone B330S. Any recomendations? What ball do you play?

In the "premium ball line" not much, maybe 500rpm or so. If you go to a really hard 2 piece distance ball yes you can drop a lot.

Thanks guys for you help. I really appreciate it. Is there a chart I could view of the the differenct optimum launch conditions for my swing speed?

I haven't seen an updated one in a while, but what you listed is good. Also, CPM is a relative measurement shaft stiffness and doesn't always correlate with all shafts. For instance in a lot of shafts, i'm more of a 265-268cpm but in the whiteboard (due to its flex profile) i'm a 277. So when you mess with the stiffness of a shaft you need to compare the same shaft to another flex of the same version. For instance 277 in a whiteboard won't be the same as 277 in a redboard. Make sense? That's where a good clubfitter comes in handy.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Those are great numbers......I am jealous

I hit it straight, but only wish I had 115 worth of clubhead speed. Hell most of the pros on trackman don't even get to 110.

Average clubhead speed on tour is roughly 112mph according to trackman data and that falls in line with the average driving distance on the tour as well.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
That brings up a great question. What shaft do you guys like to hit? Do you find that some inexpensive shafts are just as good or better then their higher priced alternatives?

I still think that out of most shafts I have hit. The ProForce V2 holds its own.

Find a good clubmaker who is honest and they will give you the straight answers. The V2 is a low launching medium spin shaft and feel boardy to me anyway. There are better options out there if you are willing to spend some money. All i can tell you is demo, demo, demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.