Driver swing vs irons....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welllll, i have finally got my tee ball hammering. Never hit the driver so sweet or consistent. My keys? I am leaving my wrist set and elbow fold alone going back and making sure i don't drag it up or to the inside, a trend of mine. My actual feel is keeping the angle between the clushaft and left arm frozen for a bit. In the distant past my best golf was played loading the club early. I think with my present swing i am float loading. I tried the lagging takeaway but this present swing is the one that works.

Now, the problem. This swing is just not getting it done with the irons. I am hitting a powerhouse little draw off the tee, but the irons are leaking right and contact feels weak. Do i need to load earlier with the irons or could it be another reason? I know in the past my best iron play has been when loading early. Should i float off the tee and sweep load with the irons?

Different swings

I'm having the opposite problem. Since my lesson with Jim, my irons are sweet. Hooking woods off the planet.

Maybe its a rythym/overacceleration thing.

Could be a shaft issue.

I would hate to have to develop 2 different swings: 1 for irons and 1 for woods.

This has been a big deal for me.......

Not as much anymore but....

One swing would work great with driver/long irons (high and not hook prone)........but then I'd hit "fluffers" off to the right with the irons...........

Another would work great for short irons (mashed).......but I'd hit it too low and hook it with the longer clubs.....

Not so much of a problem now.....but it's been tough to find that clubface control that's just right. Enough forward lean without so much danger of hooking it.

Pain in ZE ASS.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I've decided I suck with a driver. NOTHING but low, low pull draws, sometimes they even get head high.

However I can absolutely MASH it from wedge to 6 iron, anything above is low and LEFT.

This is the opposite of when I first started studying this stuff, I could hit a 4 iron very high, because I was a flipper, same with the driver, now I have a good short game and just pray to get it in the fairway somewhere, hell I would settle for in play where I can actually hit a shot with out punching it out. For instance I made par from the left trees 3 times today, punch out with a 7 and hit gorgeous wedges to within inches; two of them I actually thought were holed out.

This is a crappy way to play.

Last edited:
John you sounded like me accept that mine were low fades. Like Jim sez it was lack of axis-tilt. He gave me this drill and worked immensly for me, thanks Jim. I worked on getting the feeling on putting my left elbow(for a lefty) into my left pant pocket on the downswing.

More out...

Wolfman:

I sometimes have the same problem with my woods (hooking off da planet). I'll sometimes feel my downswing has more 'out' to help eliminate. It is not to much swinging further right, its just a feel that I think makes sure I get to both arms straight and better extension

Dobber

More out

I've been working with the lasers and flashlights.

My "more out" feels like my hands are more out and up at the top and start down. Thru impact the hands feel like they are way left, BUT the clubhead and shaft are still pointing at the forward part of the plane line.

At least, I hope that is what Jim and I have worked on. It is having a hard time getting thru my coconut shell!

lasers

I have one tiny diameter one that I can fit into the grip hole, but I have no clue where I got it. Have had it for 10 years.

I have also taped small/mini mag flashlights to a dowel (one on each end). Put a plane line of tape on the floor. Turn on the flashlights, turn off the room lights and swing away.

Those mini batteries for the mini laser are kind of expensive.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I have one tiny diameter one that I can fit into the grip hole, but I have no clue where I got it. Have had it for 10 years.

I have also taped small/mini mag flashlights to a dowel (one on each end). Put a plane line of tape on the floor. Turn on the flashlights, turn off the room lights and swing away.

Those mini batteries for the mini laser are kind of expensive.

You can get those mini batteries in bulk off of Ebay. I think i got like 100 of them for something like $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.