Duck Hooks, Snap hooks...call it what you want...

Status
Not open for further replies.
cause I got em bad. I was warming up on the range for my first rd of the year and was hitting the irons pretty decent. Then I get to Driver. One after another, hook central. I tried everything to hit something other than the dreaded snap hook. No dice. Proceeded to snap hook every tee shot in the round with driver/3 wood. It wasn't pretty.

Tried swinging OTT with a weak grip, open stance, etc. I could snap it standing on my head.

If it keeps up I will try and post my swing very soon but suggestions before my next range sesion would be
greatly appreciated.

Thx Rick I will definitely try that...I also read a tip here somewhere ( can't remember who) but it says to keep speeding up the hips until you fade one. Interesting.

The task of slamming a ball on the ground, with Driver, will be mindful enough.

PS Just in case you need something else to clear your mind:

I watched Vijay practice this:

Driver, uphill lie, out of rough for two hours.

He wouldn't hit it until he paused at the top forever.

Blew my mind.

Rick

Thx again guys....1 question...How high can one expect to hit a driver off the deck? SHould I be more focused on shape of the shot and not worry about the height of the shot?

In my experience, driver of deck flies lower by about 20-40 feet than driver off the tee and tends to be a little straighter (more backspin?).

What happened when you tried it?

Driver off the deck is good but you might have to open the face a little to get enough loft. If you keep moving the ball forward with the face a little closed, you will eventually start to slice it. The path has to change and probably the plane. I put a lot of people with a flat plane on a sidehill below-the-feet lie. Sometimes it helps.

So back from the range. I tried eevrything. Couldn't hit it off the deck, a tee, chair, anything. I tried firing hips, opening stances, hitting down, up, sideways. I tried different back swings, laying it off, getting left thumb more under, etc. Nothing. I was duck hooking everything and the half hooks were barely 20 ft in the air. Then with about 10 balls left I tried something I said I would never go back to. The overlap grip. I switched 2 years ago to a 10 finger grip to try and get the right hand more into my swing. Well I guess I somehow was over doing the right hand (insert joke here).

My first ball with the overlap grip was a sweet high push...Yes a push. I was never so happy to see that ball flight again. I proceeded to hit the sweetest little push draws after that with 3 wood and driver. Man I am sorelieved right now.

art

New
So back from the range. I tried eevrything. Couldn't hit it off the deck, a tee, chair, anything. I tried firing hips, opening stances, hitting down, up, sideways. I tried different back swings, laying it off, getting left thumb more under, etc. Nothing. I was duck hooking everything and the half hooks were barely 20 ft in the air. Then with about 10 balls left I tried something I said I would never go back to. The overlap grip. I switched 2 years ago to a 10 finger grip to try and get the right hand more into my swing. Well I guess I somehow was over doing the right hand (insert joke here).

My first ball with the overlap grip was a sweet high push...Yes a push. I was never so happy to see that ball flight again. I proceeded to hit the sweetest little push draws after that with 3 wood and driver. Man I am sorelieved right now.

Dear conkanen,

Please follow up on posting at least one video of your swing today, it has been my experience, based on golf science, that making one change and 'apparently' solving the problem, affects many other of the necessary 'degrees of freedom' of the body joints involved in the back and down swing.

Regards,
art

Dear conkanen,

Please follow up on posting at least one video of your swing today, it has been my experience, based on golf science, that making one change and 'apparently' solving the problem, affects many other of the necessary 'degrees of freedom' of the body joints involved in the back and down swing.

Regards,
art

I will do that Art. I may not be the greatest quality but I will post something in the next week or so as I am booked solid with other things. I will PM you when it's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.