Dufner's the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody come up with a reason why this guy can't win a major and a bunch of more tournaments? He has as much control of his ball tee to green as anyone right now. No weaknesses that I can see.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Length......but that's a stretch. Maybe a little shotmaking but you're right. Has the right demeanor and seems to show up at the big ones. Played several times with him on the minis and it was like cool hand Luke. Barely cracked a smile.

About 5 years ago I was at the RTJ site at Auburn hitting balls. The guy next to me had a perfect square of divots and was hitting some
Pitch shots about 50 yards and they were landing almost on top of each other. He and a couple of guys picked up and went to their carts. Noticed the name Jason Dufner on a Titleist bag. Had never heard of him. The next day I was playing at the Auburn University Club and noticed the course record from the tips 7300yards was Jason Dufner. Shot 63---and that was with a 3 putt on 18 according to the asst pro who had played with him. Said he was very nice guy but extremely quiet. Told me that Jason had just made it to the PGA tour and
bought his caddie a Corvette and himself an Escalade. Said you can hear Jason coming from miles away because he opens his windows
and plays rap music as loud as possible. Gotta watch those quiet guys.

The way he waggles, the fluff of hair sticking out from under his cap and just his general looks reminds me a lot of Raymond Floyd in the old days but without the outward glare/fire that Ray showed.

Unique in how his weight stays deep, almost heel deep all the way thru the swing. A shallowing maneuver to a fairly steep transition it seems. A little of the Fowler, Phil "pull back".

I think his accuracy is because his hand travel is small...its just less distance from forward to back less chance for things to get out of position.

art

New
Unique in how his weight stays deep, almost heel deep all the way thru the swing. A shallowing maneuver to a fairly steep transition it seems. A little of the Fowler, Phil "pull back".

Dear DCgolf,

There are many ways to develop lower body dynamic balance stability margin prior to, or even during the back swing. The more margin, IMO the less injury potential, and has been reported in the 'Bumpy back...' thread, more distance and less dispersion.

Try it, IMO, you'll like it.

Regards,
art

PS. I am working on an analysis and test program that should show that those professional golfers who rotate their hips and pelvis exceptionally fast in degrees per second, are in fact by their geometry and velocity of the lower body, trying to develop some additional dynamic stability, but in a very inefficient way ( ie. Rory McIlroy, greater than 700 degrees per second peak). Additionally, many other aspects of this swing style encourage lower back injury, and increases in upper body path and position errors, for those that try to copy this style of swing. I have no data regarding the kinetics and kinematics of Jason Dufners swing, but would GREATLY appreciate knowing how to obtain these data.

Here's what we know: He's the hottest player on the PGA tour. The flip side: he's 35 years old with two wins. So now the proverbial "flood gates will open", a TV talking heads metaphor for recent good play. Guys get hot, nothing more, nothing less. Did he change something? Did he add something? I doubt it. If you're good enough to be out there for that long, your timing will kick in on a few weeks and you'll win. I don't see it as more than that right now. I am not diminishing his recent great play or wins. It's just the way our game works.

Status
Not open for further replies.