Dumbest Comment Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was watching the GS of Golf on TNT last nite (nothing better to do). TW hit a little pitch / chip with a SW from maybe 5 yds off the green that stopped almost dead when it hit the green (not a flop).

Bobby C says 'man that was a lot of spin for such a short shot' - then he adds 'players with a lot of FACE ROTATION (my Caps for emphasis) create the most spin' - WHERE DID THAT COME FROM? How much 'face rotation' is there in a little pitch / chip that flies 5 yds? Don't think we will find that in the Yellow Book.

As our host BM says - the ball only knows what the club tells it in the 3/4" and .0005 sec (think I got that right) of impact interval. Guess I have to start 'spinning that face' a little faster during the impact interval to get more spin.

What really happened (my best guess) is that TW was chipping into the grain (grain is very strong in the 50th state).

Bruce

Who knows what he was talking about....

Cause an Angled Hinge (less rotation) actually would work better for that shot.

For a pitch 5 yards off the green that u wanna stop?? Hor. Hinge??

Dunno Spikeski....it's too early to be drinkin tho isn't it??? O wait.....Australia.....

;) :)

I GUESS you COULD do er with the face open tho.....

........(I mean....if I'm gonna be GENEROUS.....)...

For a pitch 5 yards off the green that u wanna stop?? Hor. Hinge??

Dunno Spikeski....it's too early to be drinkin tho isn't it??? O wait.....Australia.....

;) :)

I GUESS you COULD do er with the face open tho.....

........(I mean....if I'm gonna be GENEROUS.....)...

I hear ya and you're not wrong. Skining rabbits.

I can do a chip shot of that distance moving towards a HH. Depends on how low you want the ball to go, too. Even out of bunkers.
Can fan the club open and roll through for a flop, also.

And....I've never known you to be other than......generous....my good man;)

Ready for some shuteye...but I'll pop a Heineken for ya (safest beer to drink, for me, here in Thailand...pasturized)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Actually there probably wasn't a lot of spin on it at all. Due to a "soft impact" and the trajectory of the ball coming in (angle of descent) is what stopped the ball so quickly.

Thats really the secret, you don't need a ton of spin around the greens as long as you get the ball to take almost an upside down U type trajectory.

Now when you do that trajectory WITH SPIN, that's when you get those balls that suck off the green like 10 feet.

I hear ya and you're not wrong. Skining rabbits.

I can do a chip shot of that distance moving towards a HH. Depends on how low you want the ball to go, too. Even out of bunkers.
Can fan the club open and roll through for a flop, also.

Ya ur right I guess.....it can be done for sure. I just always think Angled. (for myself anyway)

And....I've never known you to be other than......generous....my good man;)

Ready for some shuteye...but I'll pop a Heineken for ya (safest beer to drink, for me, here in Thailand...pasturized)

Hehehe....thank you Spike.

Ooooh Thailand.....exotic...

U gonna watch the Kumate??

Status
Not open for further replies.