Early Turn / Late Lift vs Early Lift / Late Turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian / Others

Please comment on the advantages / disadvantages of what I consider 2 basic styles of swinging the club.

Early Turn / Late Lift (Snead, Littler, many other "old time / classic players) - hips / core / shoulders turn at start of swing; hands and arms stay close to body in 1st half of swing. Club head moves inside target line early in swing and shaft is in what would be considered "under plane" thru 1st half of swing. Arms begin to lift from halfway back to top of BS. DS could be considered "over top" of BS, but not
necessarily "outside).

Early Lift / Late Turn (Couples would be the "extreme" example, most modern and younger players). Arms and hands move up and away from body at takeaway. Hips and core turn later. Shaft is immediately "above" plane at takeaway. Arms have completed any "lifting" by about halfway back and BS in completed by turn. DS is generally "under" BS.

Which style is easier to perform, lower maintainence, and probably better for an "older" (72 yrs young) player as myself.

Thanks.

Bruce

I personally think that the early turn, late lift is the more natural of the two and it may be easier to get the sequencing of the downswing better with this version.

mp29

New
Littler was my swing model back when. For what it's worth, in a 1986 pro-am, rain-shortened to the front nine, I watched Littler beat the young guns, Couples, Stadler, and Trevino with 9 pars. I'll take turn/lift over lift/turn every time.

Littler was my swing model back when. For what it's worth, in a 1986 pro-am, rain-shortened to the front nine, I watched Littler beat the young guns, Couples, Stadler, and Trevino with 9 pars. I'll take turn/lift over lift/turn every time.

Which is supposed to mean what? A pro-am of 9 holes, that's kinda weak evidence to support a turn/lift over a lift/turn. Littler 1 major ..Trevino 6 majors. It's all about what works for a certain individual and if they have the right pieces for the pattern they are trying to use. Anecdotal evidence of Littler winning a 9 hole pro-am is pretty much useless in determining what's best for someone else!

Last edited:
Don't mean to get into a war over this, bit lot more legends doing trn and lift than lift and turn. Pretty much all legends of old times do turn and lift. Ex., Hogan, Nelson, Snead, Littler, Venturi, Burke Jr., Harmon Sr., Bolt, Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, Casper, to name a few...

IMO, turn and lift's main advantage is you can benefit from effects of float load of left wrist, as well as hands travelling and shaft more up/steep once you transition. Hard to do this with lift and turn.

Last edited:

mp29

New
Which is supposed to mean what? A pro-am of 9 holes, that's kinda weak evidence to support a turn/lift over a lift/turn. Littler 1 major ..Trevino 6 majors. It's all about what works for a certain individual and if they have the right pieces for the pattern they are trying to use. Anecdotal evidence of Littler winning a 9 hole pro-am is pretty much useless in determining what's best for someone else!

You are so ready to start something, you missed the FWIW. LOL

I'll take lift and turn. If its a choice between swinging like Tiger in 2000 or any old timer, I'm taking the GOAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.