Effect of grip on clubface rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq1CToDcULM&feature=player_embedded[/media]

I have no commercial interest in Iomic or any other grip manufacturer....but do they have point....???

They suggest that the variation in grip torque for off centre hits causes differing degrees of clubface rotation. Assuming that the drivers, shafts, swing speed, spining of shaft and the degree of "of-centredness" are equal .... does this suggest that the clubhead is not acting as a free body at impact??

Alot depends on their data quality - a couple of example videos proves nothing - but can what is happening at the grip end alter impact conditions ....assuming swings are identical??

Or is it that the grip torques are altering the pre-impact conditions between the 2 grip types...which then alter the impact conditions??

Thoughts please?

My thoughts : Ball already left the clubface long before any torque takes place in the grip. It's the same with impact feelings, those always need time to travel up the shaft, the ball is already gone.

My thoughts : Ball already left the clubface long before any torque takes place in the grip. It's the same with impact feelings, those always need time to travel up the shaft, the ball is already gone.
Yes, that is the science view (supported as long back as "Search for the Perfect Swing" and reinforced by Mandrin, Zick etc) ... but how do you explain their claims?

I agree that this probably isn't the 10 yard or whatever improvement in accuracy that they're claiming.

The video doesn't explain all the details of their testing, but it seemed likely to me that they've assumed that a reduction in the amount of twist within the grip will reduce the amount of twist in the clubhead, which assumes that the hands are rock solid at impact and won't react to more of the off-centre impact torque being transmitted through the Iomic grip.

I think it's more likely that, if the Iomic grip twists less (in other words, absorbs less of the shock/twist resulting from an off-centre impact) then the hands will twist more in response to more of the shock being transmitted through the club. As Frans points out, there is no time at all for the golfer to react to the twist and try to resist it.

If the Iomic grip actually transmits more of the torque from an off-centre strike to your hands, I'm not actually sure that that's going to feel like a good thing. Also, if low-torque is really all that, then how to explain why most graphite shafts are still designed and manufactured to have considerably more torque than steel shafts? Or why you can no longer buy Fatshafts.

After typing all that, it occurs to me that the extra sting of an off-centre hit might actually be a strong selling point after all - for the golfers out there who still prefer the "feedback" of a blade and a heavy stiff shaft. But that's about it.

Yes, that is the science view (supported as long back as "Search for the Perfect Swing" and reinforced by Mandrin, Zick etc) ... but how do you explain their claims?

I'd want to understand how the club is "gripped" by the ironbyron robot - and whether the clamp holding the club can rotate more or less freely like a golfers hands. If not, then I'm not sure of the validity of the test.

I think that we all agree that it is not the "ions" in the grip that are doing it...

From their website media section (quote in Golftips mag) "What we're talking about is the mysterious science of ion management, or the canceling of positively charged ions associated with stress or agitation by way of infusing negative ions into jewelry, footbed inserts or headwear."

The way they present their concept would suggest that they believe that the twisting in the clubface is directly related to the degree of torquing at the grip end (ie. between grip and hands/robot)...ie. a stickier grip will twist less....hence the clubface twists less.......but that seems wrong way around....no?

Never seen these grips in real life...except on seemore putters...but not really tested too much torque there....

I think that we all agree that it is not the "ions" in the grip that are doing it...

From their website media section (quote in Golftips mag) "What we're talking about is the mysterious science of ion management, or the canceling of positively charged ions associated with stress or agitation by way of infusing negative ions into jewelry, footbed inserts or headwear."

The way they present their concept would suggest that they believe that the twisting in the clubface is directly related to the degree of torquing at the grip end (ie. between grip and hands/robot)...ie. a stickier grip will twist less....hence the clubface twists less.......but that seems wrong way around....no?

Never seen these grips in real life...except on seemore putters...but not really tested too much torque there....

Putters are a good example of what I was trying to say. Everyone's missed putts because the clubhead has twisted on an off-centre strike. But does the grip twist in your hands? Not in my (non-lab-verified) experience. Your hands twist in response to the twist applied to the clubhead by the ball and transmitted up the shaft and grip.

Then again, I missed the bit about ion management. Maybe if it doesn't straighten out your drives, it'll still provide pain relief for arthritics.

I've tried the grips. One of my pros at Tetherow thinks they are phenomenal. I'm a Lamkin guy myself.

Phenomenal in a negative ion emitting way (this is one bit of science I would like to hear Dr. Zicks comments on :rolleyes:)...or in a normal grip assessment way (ie.grippy, durable etc)...or in a straight hitting way (like the video suggests)??

I like GP tour wrap full cord. Lamkin cord feel a bit plasticky rather than rubbery...

I use their putter grips and am a fan myself. Another pro I was just at a tournament with recently installed them on all his clubs and love them.

FWIW...

Phenomenal in a negative ion emitting way (this is one bit of science I would like to hear Dr. Zicks comments on :rolleyes:)...or in a normal grip assessment way (ie.grippy, durable etc)...or in a straight hitting way (like the video suggests)??

I like GP tour wrap full cord. Lamkin cord feel a bit plasticky rather than rubbery...

In a grippy, durable way... They do have amazing tackiness after a quick wipe with a wet towel.

Status
Not open for further replies.