elbow: pitch vs punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are the major factors in determining whether a pattern will use pitch or punch elbow?
just chipping around the green yesterday, i noticed that pitch elbow seems to require a longer swing and is helpful in getting the ball up quicker. punch seems better when hitting low running pitches/chips.
i also noticed i tend to allow the club to pass my hands more (tour pitch) with pitch elbow, and have a more coaff finish with punch elbow.

how does it affect a full swing pattern?
also, is it safe to assume that most good players use a pitch and punch elbow to hit different shots?

thanks

The simple answer: based on the speed desired for the shot at hand.

hmm...never thought of that...i assume pitch produces the most speed?

also, i know pitch elbow is elbow leading wrist, and punch is wrist leading elbow, but what is push elbow?

don't some world class players use a punch elbow for full shots too?

thanks!

Guitar Hero

what are the major factors in determining whether a pattern will use pitch or punch elbow?
just chipping around the green yesterday, i noticed that pitch elbow seems to require a longer swing and is helpful in getting the ball up quicker. punch seems better when hitting low running pitches/chips.
i also noticed i tend to allow the club to pass my hands more (tour pitch) with pitch elbow, and have a more coaff finish with punch elbow.

how does it affect a full swing pattern?
also, is it safe to assume that most good players use a pitch and punch elbow to hit different shots?

thanks

It is explained for you in the 6th edition of TGM book on pages 140,141 and 142. Pick up the book and do a little reading please.

To Better Golf.
John W Rohan-Weaver CMAI, GSEM

Brian Manzella

Administrator
:)

Here is the straight truth on the subject:

The Elbow Plane is something that you can learn to do, but the most effective USERS of this procedure do it "naturally."

I can hit ANY SHOT either way.

I have played my best on the the TURNED SHOULDER PLANE though.

I think you should experiment with both.

But for the most part, I don't hard teach anyone either anymore. I teach around whatever they use.

Same with PITCH vs. PUNCH.

I played my best with PUNCH.

But I can do either, and I do either.

It is explained for you in the 6th edition of TGM book on pages 140,141 and 142. Pick up the book and do a little reading please.

To Better Golf.
John W Rohan-Weaver CMAI, GSEM

ok thanks. i don't have the book, though. luckily, i get all my golfing info right here!

Here is the straight truth on the subject:

The Elbow Plane is something that you can learn to do, but the most effective USERS of this procedure do it "naturally."

I can hit ANY SHOT either way.

I have played my best on the the TURNED SHOULDER PLANE though.

I think you should experiment with both.

But for the most part, I don't hard teach anyone either anymore. I teach around whatever they use.

Same with PITCH vs. PUNCH.

I played my best with PUNCH.

But I can do either, and I do either.

thanks brian. i guess that is what i was thinking...you work around what the player does naturally.
i guess my question just stemmed from messing around hitting pitch shots. i noticed that i can "set up" to produce a certain elbow postition (kinda stick my right elbow out/facing away for punch, looking more at the ground for pitch).
i also noticed that if i get the face turning more towards the plane, seems to set me up more for pitch...while the face more perpendicular to the plane set me up more for punch. Just wondering if the amount of clubface rotation had anything to do with the elbow, and what other factors might contribute.

thanks

Hey Brian...

It is risky business (or at least not apt to really work) but what would you do to teach a TSPer to have an Elbow Plane downswing?

You have always said people shift naturally without trying...and also that it may not be good to consciously try to loop inside and swing away from the left leg...

So I have been trying to wrap my head around how one could, hazardous or not, learn to shift to the E.P.

I have ideas but am sniffing for a Manzella List.

hey birdie...
pardon my ignorance, but as i said, i don't have the book...any tgm knowledge i have is pretty much from this site...
does the elbow position relative to the club dictate/correlate with whether the club comes down the tsp or elbow plane? i.e., punch = tsp and pitch = elbow plane?

thanks

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
hey birdie...
pardon my ignorance, but as i said, i don't have the book...any tgm knowledge i have is pretty much from this site...
does the elbow position relative to the club dictate/correlate with whether the club comes down the tsp or elbow plane? i.e., punch = tsp and pitch = elbow plane?

thanks

No

the "underhand javelin" throw in the soft draw pattern is a great way to explain/feel pitch elbow...
any such description to help recognize punch elbow?

thanks

don't want to sound like a broken record here...
does anyone have a descriptor (similar to the javelin) for feeling punch elbow?
i can recognize it in a pitch shot, but have difficulty on a full swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.