English Turn Visit (now with a Manzella blog story on page 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian's blog entry is enlightening. One simple tip got him to scratch, offered by a guy that saw him hitting balls in person. Regardless of what we read or watch, we will improve only by having an instructor watch us, customize instruction, and then practice often enough so the change is more natural. I have a lot of old golf books. Reading one by Henry Cotton, he made some interesting comments that echo some of the findings of Project 1.68. First, he stated that 85 percent of the power in the golf swing comes from the hands and arms. Second, he discussed the late hit extensively. He made a photographic study of a group of golfers at varying handicaps playing a tournament. He found that many got into a position of a late release, but failed to hit the ball well as it was not a well timed release based on the players individual hand strength. All the picture studying, reading, watching, may be enjoyable, but it cannot substitute the type of instruction you get on Brian's lesson tee. I have a customized plan he gave me in June that I have followed with great results. My belabored point is that Brian may have improved without the swing dem arms tip, but it could not have been given if the pro had not seen him swing.

S

SteveT

"First, he stated that 85 percent of the power in the golf swing comes from the hands and arms."

The correct scientific interpretation is that 85% of the power in the golf swing goes THROUGH the hands and arms. It's the body that generates the 'power' which flows into the arms, hands and into the clubhead.

Cotton was only telling us what he 'felt'; but was wrong scientifically. Understandable given what we now know about the golfswing.

The correct scientific interpretation is that 85% of the power in the golf swing goes THROUGH the hands and arms. It's the body that generates the 'power' which flows into the arms, hands and into the clubhead.

Steve, are you flexible on this one?

Sorry, I did not realize you won multiple Open championships and taught scores of golfers for over fifty years. Henry can't answer due to death without a ouija board, unfortunately.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I've taken under 20 hours of lessons in my life and two of the best lessons I've had by far were a five minute phone call and a ten minute conversation ( both no clubs) at the Masters. Both by Brian. I don't know what this means but it means something.

Cotton was only telling us what he 'felt'; but was wrong scientifically. Understandable given what we now know about the golfswing.

How exactly is it generated, break down the transition for me?

Prove Cotton wrong please, the stuff you post kinda points towards a kind of 'perfect swing'. BTW, I don't even think power is the right word... you can have all the 'power' you want, but if I have more club head speed, a greater smash factor and a center hit, all your power just got toasted.

Can you go ahead and provide a summary of the anti-summit too, I thought it was next week so I missed the sneak preview you've seen...

Status
Not open for further replies.