ESPN article on college golf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that link.

I think it's unfair to say that because Rory didn't go to college and is doing great, that others would be better golfers if they didn't go to college. For a lack of a better word, Rory is a 'freak.' Not only that, he's incredibly mature for his age and that's one of the very important parts of college...the maturation process. Not only as a golfer, but as a person.

I disagree that 'college golf is the only thing to blame.' There are plenty of golfers who were noticeably better right out college than they are now, well down the road. I think it's easy to blame a lot of swing instructors, equipment OEM's, and the setup of the Tour itself.

However, I think the article and Haney have some merit. One thing about college golf...play well or you'll be gone. I'm a bit skeptical of Haney inferring that because chances are he probably did the same thing to some poor kid who was struggling with his game. Dump him, give the 1/2 scholarship to somebody else. Rinse and repeat.

3JACK

I think the media AND society in general jump to conclusions about things. Did the college system work out for Luke Donald? For Graeme Mcdowell? For Tiger and Phil?

Match play for the biggest event of the year?

I was surprised when I saw a while back that the NCAA's were match play now. I think the Big 10 championship is too. I remember years ago the cry was to have more match play in college because we (the U.S.) were being drubbed in the Ryder Cup. The thought was that young American players had no idea how to play match play. BUT, aren't most of the big Amateur events match play? I didn't make a lot of sense to me then and it makes less sense to me now. Of course, I didn't play college golf so I don't REALLY know.

HH makes some great points. My coach was the best guy ever. High level teacher? No. Most high level college players have a coach already, but they usually don't spend much time with them when at school unless Daddy has bucks and can get them to and fro.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I don't understand why you feel that is a big deal that is ruining college golf and American golfers?

3JACK

Did i say that is ruining college golf and American golfers? Did I say that? Where in that sentence did I say that?

I simply think college golf isnt the best preparation and it needs an upgrade. And match play for the NCAAs is a good example. Is that easier to understand? Better coaches and less of a "team first" concept would be good for starters.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I think the media AND society in general jump to conclusions about things. Did the college system work out for Luke Donald? For Graeme Mcdowell? For Tiger and Phil?

Its not like its a total disaster. The best talent will usually rise (Tiger only stayed 2 years btw). A ton of top level programs have Trackman, great practice facilities and so forth. Its just not ideal imo.

Did i say that is ruining college golf and American golfers? Did I say that? Where in that sentence did I say that?

I simply think college golf isnt the best preparation and it needs an upgrade. And match play for the NCAAs is a good example. Is that easier to understand? Better coaches and less of a "team first" concept would be good for starters.

My point was that I don't see having match play for the NCAAs as bad at preparing golfers. I think if the majority of tourneys were match play, then I could understand.

I agree with better coaches.

Team first concept? I don't really remember it being 'team first' from my days. I mean, individuals can qualify for the NCAA tournament. You want to win as a team because those are usually your buddies and you want to do well.

I have more of a problem with coaches taking a way a scholarship if a player doesn't perform. I can see if the guy misses practices, curfews, study halls, and is more or less there to party. I actually think that is only the case for a small percentage of golfers.

Better coaches? Hell yeah. But that won't happen until they start paying coaches better, which will probably never happen.

3JACK

Jwat

New
I can't comment from experience with college golf, but I can say the same is true for Div 1 baseball. The coaches for the most part know absolutley nothing past the fundementals when it comes to the swing or any aspect of the game besides pitching. Even the pitchers are learning bad mechanics that they have to correct in the farm leagues. Hence why these pro teams try and get them out of high school. Besides the experience, college actually will hurt mechanics and most players games.

Jwat

New
Better coaches? Hell yeah. But that won't happen until they start paying coaches better, which will probably never happen.3JACK

I am not saying that they don't need to pay coaches more, but I disagree that these coaches need to be paid more to perform better. Most information is free now so if they will do a little homework at home and make themselves more rounded coaches then overall college golf could improve immediatley.

I believe that the new generation isn't in to practicing near as much as the guys before them. With the coaches not getting any smarter and the players not practicing as much, we have current American college golf. It needs better and more knowledgable coaches to facilitate changes and growth. Until it starts there college golf will continue to lag behind the mini tours as developing the best golfers.

I am not saying that they don't need to pay coaches more, but I disagree that these coaches need to be paid more to perform better.

That's not what I'm saying.

If you want better coaches, you need to pay more. Giving the current coaches more pay doesn't accomplish anything. But, offering a higher salary will bring in new 'good' coaches.

IIRC, Coastal Carolina's coach, Alan Terrell, makes his money more thru his Myrtle Beach golf vacation package than he does coaching. Could you imagine a D-I basketball or football coach having a side job that makes more than their coaching job?

I'm not blaming the schools because for all intents and purposes, golf doesn't bring jack squat in revenue. But the lack of pay doesn't draw the interest of potentially good coaches and the ones that are good, usually wind up quitting after a few years.

3JACK

Jwat

New
Very true, they made Ryan Leaf the golf coach at the local college until he got in trouble with pills. All I am saying is no matter what type of caliber coach you are, you can learn alot more for free on the internet. With the trend of college golf right now that is definitley not the case.

Its not like its a total disaster. The best talent will usually rise (Tiger only stayed 2 years btw). A ton of top level programs have Trackman, great practice facilities and so forth. Its just not ideal imo.

True. The cream rises. I have a feeling it has something to do with what you guys are talking about with coaching. I always assumed that the coaches were knowledgeable golf teachers. Sounds like in a lot of cases it's more like my freshman year high school golf coach. He played golf but the top players could beat him like a rented mule on the course. The next year we actually had a local pro as our coach. Big difference between having a guy who drove us to matches vs. someone who knew how to teach us.

Status
Not open for further replies.