Explanation of Angled, Vertical and Horizontal Hinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian's videos are a great visual tool to see the difference. Think of it like this, imagine the Ben Hogan pane of glass laying on your shoulders with the other end on the ground. Now imagine you lay you whole club on the pane of glass with the club face 90 degrees (or perpindicular) to that pane of glass. For angled hinging, as the club swung back and then forward while resting on the pane of glass, the clubface would always be at the same 90 degree anlge to the pane of glass (you probably figure out that the pane of glass is a rudimentary representation of the swing plane). For horizontal hinging, as the club swung both ways the clubface would actually rotate so that is lies ON the plane of glass (no longer at a 90 degree angle). For Vertical hinging, as the club swings back, the face would rotate down so that the clubface faces directly down to the ground and then as it swings forward it would rotate so that the clubface faces directly up to the sun (parallel to the ground). Hope this helps. Brian's video is a much better explanation.

Does Brian teach students to use all 3 hinge actions? Homer Kelley didn't necessarily like vertical hinge action.
I spent a lot of time working on the vertical hinge action shot for bunkers and around the greens.Only problem was it crept into my long game and caused some big problems.
I'm curious if Brian or any other instructors like one hinge action more then an other.

Brian's videos are a great visual tool to see the difference. Think of it like this, imagine the Ben Hogan pane of glass laying on your shoulders with the other end on the ground. Now imagine you lay you whole club on the pane of glass with the club face 90 degrees (or perpindicular) to that pane of glass. For angled hinging, as the club swung back and then forward while resting on the pane of glass, the clubface would always be at the same 90 degree anlge to the pane of glass (you probably figure out that the pane of glass is a rudimentary representation of the swing plane). For horizontal hinging, as the club swung both ways the clubface would actually rotate so that is lies ON the plane of glass (no longer at a 90 degree angle). For Vertical hinging, as the club swings back, the face would rotate down so that the clubface faces directly down to the ground and then as it swings forward it would rotate so that the clubface faces directly up to the sun (parallel to the ground). Hope this helps. Brian's video is a much better explanation.

This helps alot actually. I was just confused on where to apply the terms "vertical", "horizontal", and "angled" during the swing. I thought the terms were applied to the overall look of the swing, or how the shaft looked during backswing and through swing, not the clubface position. However, watching the "vertical hinging" demonstrated by Brian threw me off a little when he obviously showed the face pointing skyward. I was thinking is it the face position or shaft lean. Anyway, I was confused. Not anymore though.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Does Brian teach students to use all 3 hinge actions? Homer Kelley didn't necessarily like vertical hinge action.
I spent a lot of time working on the vertical hinge action shot for bunkers and around the greens.Only problem was it crept into my long game and caused some big problems.
I'm curious if Brian or any other instructors like one hinge action more then an other.

I would say that you only need to learn two: Angled and vertical. However if you could learn dual horizontal too it would be beneficial.

I would say that you only need to learn two: Angled and vertical. However if you could learn dual horizontal too it would be beneficial.

Would the swing with horizontal hinging be more powerful because of the increased power production of accumulator #3 (or whatever the rolling of the left forearm is)?

How about for a slicer, would horizontal hinging be more likely to produce a draw?

Reason I ask is I just purchased NSA recently since I was fading/slicing everything. I think I was an angle hinger and I am trying to getting the "wedding ring up" swivel which I assume produces more pronounced horizontal hinging - although I think I do it wrong 95% of the time because it sure feels like flipping to me. The other 5% produces a wonderful powerful shot, but it could be just timing the flip for all I know though. I want to properly learn horizontal hinging because I thought it was pretty important, power and trajectory-wise but seems like maybe it's not as important as I thought it was.

Of course I'm just starting to learn, so all of this could be wrong, so help! :)

Last edited:
It would really help if you realized that there are no hinges mounted in the shoudlers.

:)

Hi Brian, I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at would you care to elaborate on what you mean? I remember one of your videos where you move around with your arms hang floppy from the shoulder sockets (it was an amusing scene). Are you trying to emphasize that hinging is only done through forearm rotation (or other rotations I don't know about)?

Don't want to speak for Brian, but I think that what he means is that Hinging refers only to what the club is doing, irregardless of the shoulders.

bts

New
Relationship between clubface and clubhead path

I reviewed it under one of the Manzella shorts, but I'm still having a tough time understanding the differences.
VH-closing then opening vertically,
HH-opening then closing horizontally,
AH-neither opening, nor closing.

Consequently, there are, in fact, two more, "RVH, reverse vertical (opening then closing vertically) hinge" and "RHH, reverse horizontal (closing then opening horizontally) hinge".

BTW, every join in the body is a "hinge", which can move freely.

mark

New
VH-closing then opening vertically,
HH-opening then closing horizontally,
AH-neither opening, nor closing.

Consequently, there are, in fact, two more, "RVH, reverse vertical (opening then closing vertically) hinge" and "RHH, reverse horizontal (closing then opening horizontally) hinge".

BTW, every join in the body is a "hinge", which can move freely.

hinging is only during impact " Homers Words "
the club face can just close , horizontal hinge
the clbface can lay back and close, Angled Hinge
The clubbace can lay back, vertal hinge.

Its good to practice all three, with out a club
then with a club

Horizontal hinge is vertical to the ground
Angled hinge is vertical to the incline plane
vertical to a wall.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Blah, blah, blah...

In the real world:

There is:

SHAFT LEAN

FACE AT IMPACT

FACE AT SEPARATION

FACE AT FOLLOW-THROUGH

SHAFT AT FOLLOW-THROUGH

So many combinations...so little time.

But...the MANZELLA Short Game MATRIX covers 9 possible USEABLE shots with any club. :cool:

mark

New
In the real world:
The Hinge motionis the face motion during impact and seperation correct Brian?????? Plane is the Boss etc bla bla bal

What is the Matrix short game ?????

moving the ball position , ie. low point with different hinge action???? and different clubs?????

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Wanna lose a few students???

The Hinge motion is the face motion during impact and seperation correct Brian??????

Plane is the Boss etc bla bla bal

You don't to SAY anything except what you need to say (even my little list above is TOO MUCH FOR MOST).

The "real world"....Got it?

Status
Not open for further replies.