Extensor Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
In every machine there seems to be a secondary part that has little to do, is fragile but if broken- can stop the function of the machine dead in its tracks. In the Golfing Machine it’s the left arm. Yoda called it just a piece of string, a noodle. It supplies little power. It is part of the primary and secondary lever system but wields no might.
So where does it break down and what happens? Extensor Action. (6-B-1-D) breaks down. Clubhead throwaway, power leakage, lost control, a whole sort of fug ugly things happen.

The left arm needs to be pulled taut by either PP3 or PP1 throughout the swing. Pulled in swinging and pulled in hitting. But hitting is a push, right? Yes, but as the right arm is straightening and pushing the left hand into impact, PP1 or PP3 is pulling on the left arm downward. It stretches the left arm down.

So what do we have here? A left arm moving without help from the right arm, as part of the power package (6-B) while the right arm straightens, driving toward a powerful blow on the ball while at the same time it PULLS the left arm down to kept it taunt.
And taunt is the key. A taunt rope can hold a tent in place while the same rope loose cannot.

The Feeling? Well this is what got me thinking about this in the first place- Manzella’s image of tugging a long sleeve shirt through a sweater with the right hand. Perfect.

If you loose the extensor action, the swing is dead- the taunt is gone. If you are not using extensor action in your swing, you are making up for it with poor mechanics elsewhere.
Hope some of this makes sense.

cdog

New
6B, it makes sense when talking about the action using #1, however i dont understand using #3.
If you substitute #3 and say index finger, maybe that is possible, but if you say #3, i dont see it as possible, since its on the AFT side of the shaft, if i pull #3 away from the shaft, then there is no #3, if the shaft stays on the pp, then it isnton plane.

I am probably making it much harder than it is, but i just cant do it or see it using words.

quote:Originally posted by cdog

6B, it makes sense when talking about the action using #1, however i dont understand using #3.
If you substitute #3 and say index finger, maybe that is possible, but if you say #3, i dont see it as possible, since its on the AFT side of the shaft, if i pull #3 away from the shaft, then there is no #3, if the shaft stays on the pp, then it isnton plane.

I am probably making it much harder than it is, but i just cant do it or see it using words.

Homer makes reference to pressure points working in both directions- opposite pressures in 6-C-1 and cross references you to 6-B-1-D last paragraph where he talks about the forefinger grip and pressure used in backstroke guidance, again 6-C-1.

That said: you will not feel a pulling by PP3 on the take-away, in this case a right forearm take-away, until the club has moved and the right elbow begins the bend and c0ck the left wrist.
At this stage, you should sense PP3 influencing the pull of the left arm. PP3, unlike PP1 or PP2, but like PP4 is more a feel sensory and less mechanical. PP3 and PP4 don’t hold grasp or hold as PP1 and PP2 do. Homer says educate the hands, with that let me add – PP3 is the center of the hands brain.

EdZ

New
agreed, extensor action is a fundamental for a consistent machine - the sweater image is a good one, wasn't it Ben that said that?

I'd agree with steve that PP1 is much easier to 'get' for most -

Steve, pp3 works because your right palm is basically facing away from you as your right wrist is bending straight back.

I'd suggest that you think PP1 to hip high, then you can either stay with the feel of pp1, or you can shift focus to pp3 as you trace the wheel rim with the left thumb and PP1 - keep the radius, the spoke, straight

cdog

New
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..so i am really NOT pulling with #3, im just sensing?
That makes sense to me.
Im working of using my hands to sense more, to feel the pressure as they touch the club.

EdZ

New
I would consider both more of a 'push away from center' than a pull, but as mentioned, it is only about 'taking up the slack'

Few understand extensor action. To be PROPERLY done, requires the use of PP#3. You get 2 things - a pull of the shaft AND a pull on the left arm. IMPROPERLY done(but better than nothing) using PP#1, you get only a pull on the left arm.

DDL

New
6b:

How does pp3 pull on the left arm downwards. According to Yoda on this forum, pp3 accepts the trailing indirect lag. The direct lag in hitting comes from pp1 and in swinging pp2. On chuck's forum, he did talk about pp3 and extensor action. Homer calls it pulling on both ends of a rope. Not ssure just how "active" pp3 is. Some jerkoffs think we have already gone over this, but I think this is worth going over again.

quote:Originally posted by DDL

6b:

How does pp3 pull on the left arm downwards. According to Yoda on this forum, pp3 accepts the trailing indirect lag. The direct lag in hitting comes from pp1 and in swinging pp2. On chuck's forum, he did talk about pp3 and extensor action. Homer calls it pulling on both ends of a rope. Not ssure just how "active" pp3 is. Some jerkoffs think we have already gone over this, but I think this is worth going over again.

Don't forget the motion of the swing is three dimensional, DOF- down out and forward. PP3 in front of the solid strut of the bent right wrist will push forward, outward and DOWNward. It will stretch the left arm downward.

Something from my notebook of Yoda's class: The clubhead IS presure point 3. And, "Hit the ball with your pressure points of your hands -not the clubhead."

I always felt pp3 is the king of pressure points, the smartest part of the educated hands

Status
Not open for further replies.