Eye Dominance And The Golf Swing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious to get some thoughts on the role/importance of eye dominance in the golf swing.

I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. From what I've been told, the same was the case for Hogan and Nicklaus.

Both have their dominant eye behind the ball at address (Nicklaus definitely, Hogan appears to as well)

0610409f83f17169_landing

5648.jpg

Again, what are the thoughts of people around here on eye-dominance and it's role in the swing?

3JACK

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I think it is a big deal. Being left eye dominant myself I think that a pull, pull/hook is a bit more problematic for this type of golfer.

I think it is a big deal. Being left eye dominant myself I think that a pull, pull/hook is a bit more problematic for this type of golfer.

I agree, although I don't hit many hooks. I started moving my left eye behind the ball at address a few months ago and liked how it worked, but then went back to my old routine. But this past weekend I fooled around with it again and liked the results and it showed up on video with much better golf swings.

I hear some people say it's a big advantage to be right handed and left eye dominant, but I still think it's more of a curse personally.

3JACK

I agree, although I don't hit many hooks. I started moving my left eye behind the ball at address a few months ago and liked how it worked, but then went back to my old routine. But this past weekend I fooled around with it again and liked the results and it showed up on video with much better golf swings.

I hear some people say it's a big advantage to be right handed and left eye dominant, but I still think it's more of a curse personally.

3JACK

I too am left eye dominant and when I struggle I swing too far right and hit blocks or quackers off the tee. I don't think it's a disadvantage or an advantage either way , but I do think you have to train yourself a certain way, depending on ballflight. I wonder how many of the worlds slicers are right eye dominant?? My guess is the percentage is high in favor of slicers being right eye dominant. How do I fix myself when I get too far underplane?? I try and hit cuts/straight balls the rest of the day and I don't really worry about what eye I see the ball out of.

I'm right eye dominant. I wonder if it restricts my backswing at all...I also have always turned my head pretty early in the downswing. (like Annika, Duval, etc.)

Short turns and head swivel early are right/right eye curses. I wish i was left eye dominant.

Agree 100%. I have a very short backswing, and I am a pretty muscular guy so I just figured that it was lack of flexibility. However, I have done some flexibilty drills and tests, and it's not as bad as I thought. Then I thought about the thread CMartin posted where he said he could tell a right eye dominant player from a mile away, and I am very right eye dominant. If I try to make a big backswing, I feel like I will damn near miss the ball, and all of a sudden I'm hitting skulls off the heel of my driver lol! So yea, I think that is a BIG disadvantage:(.

Never heard of this before, but I just did a test and found I am left eye dominant.

Slightly OT, but I have often wondered if wearing glasses has any effect on my swing. I used to wear contact lenses as a kid, but had problems the last time I tried them. I do sometimes feel like my depth perception and peripheral vision is compromised.

Never heard of this before, but I just did a test and found I am left eye dominant.

Slightly OT, but I have often wondered if wearing glasses has any effect on my swing. I used to wear contact lenses as a kid, but had problems the last time I tried them. I do sometimes feel like my depth perception and peripheral vision is compromised.

I think it is a definite issue. I never wore glasses, but a friend of mine used to and when he would change from glasses to contacts he would start hitting about a good foot behind the ball until he got used to them and he was a very good player.

3JACK

Short turns and head swivel early are right/right eye curses. I wish i was left eye dominant.

Again, I guess I'm the exception. I'm left eye and when I started playing I had a look off move in the downswing, but have a big turn. The look off move, I gathered was due to my brain telling my lower body to turn in the downswing, but my head did the turning and my lower body just hung out..result was Over the Top. I had to train the correct movements in my pivot to stop hacking at it.

Good book

meh, my swing looks the same if i swing with my eyes closed :D

Jim

I have the book at home written by an optomitrist and will get you the particulars when I am home. The jist of what he says is one first has to determine which eye is dominant and then the key is to have the dominant eye over the back of the ball. This is one reason why some left eye dominant golfers seem to look away from the ball.

Hope all is well with you and have a happy holiday season!
Shep

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim

I have the book at home written by an optomitrist and will get you the particulars when I am home. The jist of what he says is one first has to determine which eye is dominant and then the key is to have the dominant eye over the back of the ball. This is one reason why some left eye dominant golfers seem to look away from the ball.

Shep

Thanks shep, i'd be interested in reading it. However in my little world i think the brain would figure out from an early on point (subconscious) that is how to look at the ball to get you the best results w/o you knowing it.

Same to you, Happy Holidays.

Dariusz J.

According to my studies (supported by an ophtalmology expert) the impact of the eye dominance is very underrated. It affects alignment, backswing and downswing/impact).
There are pros and cons of being a LED/RED person for a golfer, but definitely LED golfers benefit more.

Cheers

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Dariusz do you have any data on the subject or trials/testing? Not trying to challenge you or the eye guy, just would like to read about some real world testing.

Thanks

Jim

Shep

I seem to have a little move in the backswing where my head does not rotate back with my pivot. It insists on looking at the ball! (it resists turning clockwise) My head restricts my backswing...

Last edited:

Dariusz J.

Dariusz do you have any data on the subject or trials/testing? Not trying to challenge you or the eye guy, just would like to read about some real world testing.

Thanks

Jim, the issue of eye dominance and its impact on human activities is not fully researched yet, most probably due to lack of neurologic instruments. Almost same league as subconscious mind mysteries.
Unfortunately, to my best knowledge, there has been no scientific researches done in golf. However, you can find some data on other side sports, such as baseball or archery. Here are some links that may be of interest to you:

Ocular dominance at AllExperts

The Benefits of Assessing Eye Dominance in Motor Skill Instruction

Eye And Hand Dominance - Baseball Performance | Psyched Online

I have collected some data from the work of my wife's ophtalmology friend but they are related to a human everyday activity. There are many links to a peripheral vision importance as well here.

Lastly, here is what I've concluded until now for what it is worth:

biokineticgolfswing.forom.pl • View forum - The Biokinetic Golf Swing Forum - The Head

Cheers

According to my studies (supported by an ophtalmology expert) the impact of the eye dominance is very underrated. It affects alignment, backswing and downswing/impact).
There are pros and cons of being a LED/RED person for a golfer, but definitely LED golfers benefit more.

Cheers

I've really appreciated your work on this since the first time I have read it, but I was hoping for some other thoughts on it as well.

For me, my problems related to being LED are:

1. Aim right of the intended target.
2. Head tilts down and away from the target on the downswing.
3. Head stays down looking where the ball once was almost into finish.

3JACK

Status
Not open for further replies.