Faldo on hitting the low hook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday heard Faldo utter the following, "The best way to hit a hook is to aim the face at your target and then aim your path where you want the ball to start."

ej20

New
Faldo needs to look at this video.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eEHiY5iv5u4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eEHiY5iv5u4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

What are some more D-plane correct explanations?

Here's what I think of, "aim the face where you want the ball to start and then swing right of that".

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
I am actually disinclined to criticize Faldo on this one.

Yes, we know the D-plane better than most. That doesn't entitle us to feel smugly superior to a 6 time major winner/Hall of Fame guy.

What we haven't discussed enough is the effect on the club face of swinging more right and more left, and vice versa, the effect on the path when we mess around with the face.

What I am saying is that the face/path relationship isn't static when one component is adjusted.

So maybe Faldo did not get it quite right. He does have the path/face relationship right in terms of curvature and 'maybe' the face component adjusts during the swing to enable him to start the ball where he wants it to!

I started the thread, but Damon has a good point. I've been following that advice since early 60's. Think it was in the early Nicklaus book. I'm sure that I hit some trees by drawing it too far left, but I'm also sure that I pulled off way more of them than I missed. You learn how much to aim right and what to do with your swing to create the shot.

Last edited:

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Agreed Steve!

Jack said it, as have many others. So Trackman and Flightscope say differently, when people don't really have to respond to the situation in front of them. So as teachers, we just need to be a little careful of this one.

Plus just because it isn't scientifically correct doesn't mean that it doesn't work. It just means you're not really doing what you think you're doing.

I think the clubface opens up a bit more when people try to swing right. They shut it down a bit when they try to swing left. I'm with Damon on this too even though I rail against the path = trajectory. I used to be one of the crowd but have since been turned around by all the incontrovertible evidence.

However, when you go about trying to understand WHY what appears to be the cause has been so long standing, the only solution is that which I mentioned before. When you aim left and swing left, you tend to close the face. When you aim right and swing right, you tend to open the face.

I am actually disinclined to criticize Faldo on this one.

Yes, we know the D-plane better than most. That doesn't entitle us to feel smugly superior to a 6 time major winner/Hall of Fame guy.

What we haven't discussed enough is the effect on the club face of swinging more right and more left, and vice versa, the effect on the path when we mess around with the face.

What I am saying is that the face/path relationship isn't static when one component is adjusted.

So maybe Faldo did not get it quite right. He does have the path/face relationship right in terms of curvature and 'maybe' the face component adjusts during the swing to enable him to start the ball where he wants it to!

Awesome reply! If you think logically about it, often when you try to move your path out to the right (for a right handed golfer) the face will tend to look a bit more to the right as well. We must never forget that the face and shaft are married (but are both swingers haha).

ej20

New
I think the clubface opens up a bit more when people try to swing right. They shut it down a bit when they try to swing left. I'm with Damon on this too even though I rail against the path = trajectory. I used to be one of the crowd but have since been turned around by all the incontrovertible evidence.

However, when you go about trying to understand WHY what appears to be the cause has been so long standing, the only solution is that which I mentioned before. When you aim left and swing left, you tend to close the face. When you aim right and swing right, you tend to open the face.

I agree but Faldo was not talking about swinging more to the right.He wanted to aim the face at the target,align to the right and them swing normally.Obviously,if he pulls the shot off he's not swinging normally like he thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.