Fat iron shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian I can't seem to get the divot to start after the ball.

I looked at a recent video of my swing and noticed my left wrist breaking down just after impact. Also, my swing looks all arms with a very underactive body turn.

Is the lack of pivot causing the wrist to flip?

Any drills that might help?

Many thanks.

Brian

I would say mainly fade but I can pull it left as well - and nearly always fat, so no distance

My local pro saw the video and told me I have no extension with my left arm through the ball. It looks like my *lower* left arm is glued to my side, just past past impact, then the wrist breaks down.

Wish I had a way to post the video, it's easier to see than describe.

quote:Originally posted by Dentman

Brian

I would say mainly fade but I can pull it left as well - and nearly always fat, so no distance

My local pro saw the video and told me I have no extension with my left arm through the ball. It looks like my *lower* left arm is glued to my side, just past past impact, then the wrist breaks down.

Wish I had a way to post the video, it's easier to see than describe.

welcome to my world. I am getting worse with TGM the more I pratice it. I have the same issues as you. I have never hit so many fat shots in my life. From the top I am lost on getting to the ball.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Wanole...your fat shots are for the opposite reason of dentman.

Dentman...you need to learn to swivel correctly.

I'll post some pictures tonight.

I learning to hit and sense the left arm broke down after impact, a minor chicken wing. My shots are ok except the driver, which always go to the right, and I can feel that the club face is open although hit it quite solid. I don't have much body turn or leg drive, finish is always shot, with shaft straight up in front of me.

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Dentman...you need to learn to swivel correctly.

I'll post some pictures tonight.

Brian.... do you have a drill for learning the swivel.

Also, is the swivel something that has to be conciously done/timed or does it just happen?

Looks like you didn't read the Topic instructions written by Brian -

"Comments by other forum members related to their personal experience with Brian's suggestions are welcome."

I agree with Mizuno. A drill to practice, to have hips in correct position at impact, is to stick a shaft in the ground with your left hip leaning against it. Make your entire stroke with hip remaining in contact with the shaft.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The swivel:
octpic8.gif

How to do it:
Imagine your head has water in it (I have been accused of this).

Through impact, feel as though the water comes out of your right ear, as your right thumb goes from facing AWAY from the target at release point to toward the target at follow-through.

A GREAT drill:
Try to hit dead straight little low shots--about 20-50 yards with a 6-iron, a COMPLETE your stroke with the shaft pointing to the target...the shaft parallel to the ground...and the face pointed straight down to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.