Favorite Irons Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we have some 'old school' golfers here and it's the holidays, I was curious to know what the board's favorite irons of all time are. Here's a list of mine:

Macgregor Custom - I didn't know Macgregor provided customized irons back in the day until a few days ago. Had a friend that had a set of MacGregor blades. They looked like the old Nicklaus Muirfield's, except a lot better looking blade. They didn't have the Muirfield stamp on the back of the club, just the Nicklaus signature. On the face, they didn't have diamonds on each side of the groove. The clubface was noticeably bigger than the standard Muirfield, but not too big, just a perfect looking club. He played with them for years and years and finally wore out the iron. I thought they were part of the regular Muirfield line, but I've never seen them before, so I've got to imagine they were a custom club. Great set of irons.

Titleist Acushnet - These were a set of irons that a friend let me borrow and I hit them so pure. They said Pinnacle Acushnet, but they completely surpassed my imagination. They were like a cast blade. Fantastic club.

Hogan Apex Redline - I always thought Hogan made a great looking iron, the problem was that back then there was little custom fitting and I'm 6'4" tall now and was 6'2" by the time I was 15 years old. About a month ago I was on the range and started talking to a stranger who had a set of these and I hit a few shots with the 9-iron. I had a hard time making sweetspot contact with them as he's about 5'7", but then a caught a couple crisp and it was excellent. Fantastic set of irons.

Taylor Made ICW 5 - I used these in HS and just hit them really, really well. I was deadly back then because I obliterated the 2-iron off the deck or on the tee. Get me on a very tight par-4 and I could just step up with the 2-iron, knock it about 230 off the tee (which was very long back then with balata golf balls) and dead straight down the middle. Struggled with the 9-iron and PW, but I think that was more due to some QC issues with the club. If we had the technology we have today, I could've been hitting them just as pure spending no more than $50.

3JACK

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Ok, I'll play...

Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper - The original Ping Eye 2's were great clubs, better than the later edition Eye 2 +'s.

At the time the featherlight craze was on, and Ping made a set called the EZ Lite, which were Eye 2's with the cavity scooped out. This made for an equally playable club, with a higer MOI.

When the lightweight experiment went into the trash heap, Ping was left with molds with nothing to do with them.

Ah....

If they could find a metal combo that would weight the same as the regular Ping heads, in the EZ Lite mold, they'd have something.

Beryllium Copper had been used before for limited edition putters, and would up being the exact weight with slight modifications.

Voila!

The greatest irons and wedges of all time.

No contest.

Brian,

Awhile ago I recall you saying that Dr. Zick and company showed research why blades were superior on some level to other clubs. Can you give a brief synopsis why?

Ping Eye 2 1-irons were the best. You could hit them long and straight, but once I had the ICW5 2-iron, there was little need for the Ping 1-iron. I used to use the wedges as well, but once I developed an issue with one SW and then proceeded to skull it in qualifying for the state HS tourney in 10th grade and proceeded to go into a playoff and miss the tourney that SW never saw my bag again.

3JACK

Ping Eye 2

I just put my old Ping Eye 2's (circa 1985) from high school back in play after nearly 15 years out of my bag (partially because of some previous BManz posts singing the praises of Eye 2's).

I am amazed how good they are, especially the long irons...even easier to hit than hybrids! Long, high and straight.

Now granted, I dont have the experience of some of you old war horses. ;) But for me it would be the sticks I used in college. Titleist Tour Pros circa 88...had a sweet spot the size of a dime but damn, were they pure. The whole set, 2-PW. I'd be playing them today if I hadnt worn them out.

The old Titleists were it for me, until I got a set of MP-68s that is :)

Top Flite Tour Pro Grinds- These came out around the mid nintie's and was the "pro" version of the line. These were cast with a really soft steel. I remember that making adjustments to them were easier than anything that I touched back then. They had little to no offset and good lofts (48-49* PW). They also had a very blunt leading edge and the sole was very rounded so if you caught it a bit fat it wasn't really bad. I'm still thinking of getting what would be my 3rd set of these because I liked them so much.

Mizuno Pro II- Forgiving bladeish iron with a large hitting area. Awesome.

Wilson FG-17- Not much to be said about these. I'd love to give the new FG 59's a run.

I also agree with Jim about the Taylor 300's. They'd hold up with anything else on the market today.

I will have to say that I only vaguely remember the names of my old irons, Top Flite, Maltby, and Wilson Staffs up until I quit around '94. When I came back to golf I bought fitted MP-32's and they were way better than the Staffs.

I decided to get a set of Titleist 695 CB's and have them shafted with Project X 5.5's. These are the best irons I have experienced so far. Look like a blade, but are pretty forgiving.

I liked the mizuno TP 19s, mizuno pro 2s and a set of hogan apex i used around about 2001 all gorgeous clubs that i hit better than any cavity back.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Mizuno Comp EZ. Great looking club and very forgiving.

I agree with Brian about the BeCu Pings. I never owned a set, but I had a chance to hit them a few times and they were amazing.

Mizuno Comp EZ. Great looking club and very forgiving.

I agree with Brian about the BeCu Pings. I never owned a set, but I had a chance to hit them a few times and they were amazing.

Funny, i used to have a set of CompEZ and they got stolen out of my car. I liked them better than the MP67s I bought to replace them.

What is the deal with the Ping BeCu irons? A friend has had a set his father gave him, and I would periodically hit his irons on the range and think I had to have a set. I then picked up a BeCu SW earlier this fall at my golf store and loved the balanced feel and weight and then decided I had to have a set of the irons and bought them. I am going back and forth between them and my AP2s these days.

I've toyed with the idea of having the lightweight KBS 90 shafts put in the BeCus. Bad idea? Hard to do?

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Brian,

Awhile ago I recall you saying that Dr. Zick and company showed research why blades were superior on some level to other clubs. Can you give a brief synopsis why?

Ping Eye 2 1-irons were the best. You could hit them long and straight, but once I had the ICW5 2-iron, there was little need for the Ping 1-iron. I used to use the wedges as well, but once I developed an issue with one SW and then proceeded to skull it in qualifying for the state HS tourney in 10th grade and proceeded to go into a playoff and miss the tourney that SW never saw my bag again.

3JACK

I think it has to do something with once a game improvement cast iron club with perimeter weighting is opened on the backswing, it is actually harder to square up than a blade. The weighting actually resists squaring. I think I have this right but Brian will correct me if not.

Ok,
I am a serious club ho and my dad used to say I kept Edwin Watts in buisness. I currently have over 300 clubs in my garage and got a Stack rack for them for fathers day.
Having stated my resume'
best forged blade - Founders Club 200 series
Best cast - Titleist DCI - original
Best forged Cavity back - Yonex ADX
best ever club any style Ping Eye 2
JMHO
and it aint worth much!
Ric

best forged blade - Founders Club 200 series

I had those for a couple of years in college golf and didn't like them. However, I think I had some really bad shafts in them. I then went to some Ram FX Tour Grind's which were small enough to stir you coffee with. If you hit them flush, they were absolutely pure, but very tough to consistently do.

3JACK

Status
Not open for further replies.