Fed up with unwanted advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider myself a fairly knowledgable person as it relates to the golf swing i use numerous forums sites with majority of posts in the instruction section . I have taken hundreds of lessons including many top 50 teachers who have taught major champions. I have an extensive library of golf books and dozens of dvd's and vhs videos all based on instruction.I subscribe to thegolfchannel.com just for Academy Live, I have many training aids including homemade ones and i have 70 gigabyte worth of swings on my PC. I basically eat sleep and breath this game and the instruction side is my number one interest.

Yesterday whilst playing a guy in 3 ball behind me called me over after i had teed of on the 14th, not a bad shot slight cut but in the first cut of rough. He said in total seriousness "your dipping in your followthrough" You "must" stay level.

I was furious inside but did not react as i like being a member at my club. Can anyone else give similar examples of this unsolicited advice and how they deal with it.

IMO, no big deal. The guy was trying to help. You never know, he could have been right. Take his advice or don't, that's up to you. The world has less and less people that want to help others, I'd take that guy on my side any day.

PS Even if he was wrong, he was still trying to help another golf addict like himself. Once again, no big deal.

I just killed someone for telling me my grip was too weak.ARGH. Just kidding. Half the time I don't even hear them, Im so involved with my own game and thinking. The other day some guy on the range said something about my grip. I don't know what it was, but he did have to repeat it like 4 times..I still don't remember. Tune them out I say.

I don't give advice unless it's asked. And I now have a pretty decent understanding of the golf swing...hardly a good pro teacher, but I know more than most and even understand TGM.

Played with a neighbor a week ago and by the time we hit 18, after he hit another bad drive, he asked 'what am I doing wrong?'

I told him that I wouldn't help him until we got on the range and had my camcorder handy.

So I don't get the high handicapper or the guy who is a pretty good player but has never studied the swing giving unsolicited swing advice. I pretty much block that out where I literally don't even hear it.

3JACK

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
just be polite and say, "thanks for the advice however i'm here to play golf today. so let's just play and not talk instruction or golf tips unless one of us asks the other for it ok? Thanks."

thats what i usually do and never really have issues

I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable person as it relates to the golf swing i use numerous forums sites with majority of posts in the instruction section . I have taken hundreds of lessons including many top 50 teachers who have taught major champions. I have an extensive library of golf books and dozens of DVDs and VHS videos all based on instruction.I subscribe to thegolfchannel.com just for Academy Live, I have many training aids including homemade ones and i have 70 gigabyte worth of swings on my PC. I basically eat sleep and breath this game and the instruction side is my number one interest.

Yesterday whilst playing a guy in 3 ball behind me called me over after i had teed of on the 14th, not a bad shot slight cut but in the first cut of rough. He said in total seriousness "your dipping in your follow through" You "must" stay level.

I was furious inside but did not react as i like being a member at my club. Can anyone else give similar examples of this unsolicited advice and how they deal with it.
Well, there's the old saying that goes something like this:

"The higher a player's handicap, the more he fancies himself to be an expert instructor."

Unsolicited advice irritated me when I was a hacker. Now that I have been fortunate enough to become a good player, I am sometimes asked for advice. Well, I don't mind that. Sometimes I can help, but I never give any unsolicited advice.

It depends...mostly I will play along patiently for a while. It's a bonus if you can show em you are hitting it fine (or better) your way.

If what they are telling you is wonky (or even if you just want to be left alone) chances are there is a tour player who has been successful doing what you do. (or like it)

Sometimes you of course have to "defeat" people a little to regain control. Diplomatically, or with a punch in the nose and a joke on their mother.

Whatever fits your style baby.

just be polite and say, "thanks for the advice however i'm here to play golf today. so let's just play and not talk instruction or golf tips unless one of us asks the other for it ok? Thanks."

thats what i usually do and never really have issues

To the point! Hahaha.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Both Sides...

I can fix anybody.

But, when I play golf for fun, I NEVER GIVE UNSOLICITED ADVICE. Lots of times, folks may not even know what I do.

I remember the day when I joined three guys and birdied four of the first six holes. I asked one guy what he did and he said he was a lawyer. He asked me, and I said, "I teach golf."

He looked genuinely surprised that I was a golf pro.

Good thing I didn't play with him on an average day.

Here is the STOCK comment all-ya'll need to use as a comeback to the guy who offers unsolicited advice:

THEY SAY: "You need to do X, Y & Z"

YOU SAY: "How will that reconcile the plane line vs. the true path of the club and help me manipulate my D-Plane?"

IF THEY DON'T PUT THEIR HEADS BETWEEN THEIR LEGS AND WALK AWAY BUT INSTEAD ASK: "What is that?"

YOU SAY: "Don't worry about it, it would take me 20 minutes to explain it to you."

;)

I
THEY SAY: "You need to do X, Y & Z"

YOU SAY: "How will that reconcile the plane line vs. the true path of the club and help me manipulate my D-Plane?"

IF THEY DON'T PUT THEIR HEADS BETWEEN THEIR LEGS AND WALK AWAY BUT INSTEAD ASK: "What is that?"

YOU SAY: "Don't worry about it, it would take me 20 minutes to explain it to you."

;)

lol that's pretty good.
"you're gonna give me advice, and you don't even know what the d plane is?"

Status
Not open for further replies.