Feedback needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like some feedback on the following things I have been doing:
1. completing my back swing, especially with driver
2. very light grip allowing my wrists to cock naturally with no thought at all
3. turning my left shoulder behind the ball on backswing
4. keeping my lower body relatively stable during the backswing with no conscious weight transfer, although it does occur naturally
Quality of shots has improved greatly, am I on the right track and what should I be careful of?
Thanks

Sounds like textbook stuff to me. When I take a long, slow full backswing on a balance beam, your description would be perfect for my feel. You are describing a full swing made in balance. That is how you are able to note with clarity those feels. Good work.

Having posted on this subject, let me get an opinion on ball position. I have a large shoulder turn and have consciously moved the ball back, driver to inside left heel and irons to back of center. Anyone have opinion on continuing to do this long term?
My theory: the more shoulder turn=the more the ball position needs to be moved further back?

As far as I know shoulder turn amount has nothing to do with ball position, what do you base your theory around??

The only thing I can think is that your too focused on pivot and the hands are being driven by this, if the body moves through first and the hands arent educated the tendency is to throw the hands, in that case a ball position moved back probably helps compensate for this.

Semipro wrote
Some feedback on the following things:

You should try to maintain strong fingers, but flexible wrists. Assuming that you are a right handed golfer, holding the club firmly in the last three fingers of your left hand and the middle two fingers of the right hand. Thumbs and index fingers are very light. Holding them tight will tighten the wrists. Make sure you are bending your right wrist and cocking your left wrist. Maintain extensor action and check your plane. If all of these are happening without conscious thought, all the better.

4. keeping my lower body relatively stable during the backswing with no conscious weight transfer, although it does occur naturally.

Displacement of your body mass arround your center will cause your weight to shift. Your on the right track.

I have a large shoulder turn and have consciously moved the ball back, driver to inside left heel and irons to back of center. Anyone have opinion on continuing to do this long term?

When you talk about ball position, it is difficult to understand when you talk about it in regard to foot position. Width of stance is different for different people. Check you ball position relative to your left shoulder socket and spine, not your feet. Your ball position for a driver should be approx. at your left arm pit, middle irons off the logo on your shirt and short irons slightly back at approx. your sternum or spine. Do not play the ball behind (to the right) of your spine, unless attempting to lower you trajectory.

3. "turning my left shoulder behind the ball on backswing"

Question(s):

Does the above quoted statement apply to both hands controlled pivot and pivot controlled hands?

Or

Is "my left shoulder turns behind the ball on the backswing" appropiate for hands controlled pivot?

Hope the q is clear.

Denny wrote:
"With a driver the ball position should be outside of left shoulder and even with left heel."

Denny,

Low point is the outside edge of the target side shoulder. For the driver the ball needs to be played slightly back for straight shots. Otherwise, you will be catching the ball on the upswing (6-E-2-1).

Mathew

Banned
quote:Originally posted by semipro

Sounds ok

quote:2. very light grip allowing my wrists to cock naturally with no thought at all

Kinda, light grip pressure with the correct plane will make the cocking natural.

quote:3. turning my left shoulder behind the ball on backswing

This is the same as 1. I also don't like shoulder as reference, chest and tummy/torso turn is better.

quote:4. keeping my lower body relatively stable during the backswing with no conscious weight transfer, although it does occur naturally

Hmmm....

Your weight pressure shifts, the weight however does not... important difference.You must turn into your right side and the weight pressure will shift.

I would warn against stable - stable itself is fine unless taken in wrong context. Restricted/Minimal lower body is NOT the way to go.

Brian Manzella

Administrator

3. turning my left shoulder behind the ball on backswing
4. keeping my lower body relatively stable during the backswing with no conscious weight transfer, although it does occur naturally
Quality of shots has improved greatly, am I on the right track and what should I be careful of?
Thanks

#1: Reach your HANDS back until you can't anymore.
#2: Firm grip/flexible WRISTS...let the weight of the club and LOADING ACTION cok the wrists
#3: Line up left shoulder and right hip at top of swing
#4: Make sure the BASE OF YOUR NECK, does not move forward on the backswing!!!

Brian Manzella

Administrator

Having posted on this subject, let me get an opinion on ball position. I have a large shoulder turn and have consciously moved the ball back, driver to inside left heel and irons to back of center. Anyone have opinion on continuing to do this long term?
My theory: the more shoulder turn=the more the ball position needs to be moved further back?

The moore the shoulder turn the easier it is to swing TOO FAR to the right, requiring a 'back' ball position relative to your FOOT LINE but not PLANE LINE....

Status
Not open for further replies.