Finish Intent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since working with Brian and working on the thoughts on the "new" release, I've given little consideration to what's happening into the finish. My focus has been more on shallowing my AOA and getting more normal thru impact. In hindsight I do recall that Brian spent a little time on what the grip end of the club was doing into the finish, but that's been way down on my punch list of things to work on.

As most here are probably aware of - David Toms is off to a good start this week, so he's getting some TV time. I just happened to catch an up-the-line view of his tee shot on a par 3 (162 yards if I remember) that he stuffed to about 8 feet. To me that's an interesting (but little used) view of the swing. In this case it clearly showed a clubface that was "laying on the plane" as the clubhead approached shoulder height on the thru swing. After hitting some balls this evening I realized that I'm not really getting into that position (I don't think) and that I tend to be more "open" with the face at that point.

Bottom line - should we have some intent in regards to where the clubface is at this point in the swing?

I have been focusing on this as well. I use the soft draw pattern with a slightly weaker than neutral grip. My intent is to finish in the "one final point" position with the club more or less hanging straight down my back, Nicklaus-style.I find this helps me to line the club up earlier. My miss is too much draw but I have eliminated the block which plagued me. I do find that on straight shots I don't quite get to that position and my palm is more on the wall. I would like to hear your experience with finish intent particularly as it applies to less than full wedges.

Status
Not open for further replies.