First day teaching w Flightscope

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not quite as good as Trackman, but it was still worth it. My students were depressed after seeing the cold hard numbers...they all believed they flew it farther, etc. After some suggestions, each saw the data improve and became happy again...whew.
BUT the Art of Teaching still has mostly to do with the INTERPRETATION of the data and application. SO, just letting you guys know that you've inspired me to upgrade my tool kit.

Did you look into a Trackman or was the price out of reach? When I was on Flightscope the numbers were very consistent to my numerous times on Trackman. Does anyone else that has a flightscope seen the same? I would also have to assume setup time could take a little longer since there is no camera or self leveling

Michael Jacobs loves his flightscope and he is their go to guy on how to apply it to teaching. He would tell you that is every bit as good as trackman.....Brian would tell you it isn't :D
But the data it collects is only useful to someone who knows how to apply it like MJ and BManz. Haney had a trackman on his last effort to prove he can't teach and never actually used it.
He is not the first big name guy I have seen that has no idea of the technologies potential. I have had the fortune of using both with Mike and Brian and in their hands these machines are awesome.

How is the club path data provided by Flightscope as accurate as Trackman's club path when Flightscope can't calculcate the angle of attack and factor it into the path like Trackman?

Jwat

New
I know it's not quite as good as Trackman, but it was still worth it. My students were depressed after seeing the cold hard numbers...they all believed they flew it farther, etc. After some suggestions, each saw the data improve and became happy again...whew.
BUT the Art of Teaching still has mostly to do with the INTERPRETATION of the data and application. SO, just letting you guys know that you've inspired me to upgrade my tool kit.

Bill,

Have you used an iphone for the monitor function yet? That is one thing I really liked that flightscope offered that trackman doesn't.

I've done quite a bit of teaching on Flightscope, and am very familiar with Trackman as well. In my honest opinion, they are each worth what you pay for. Trackman is better, but also costs 5x as much. However, the potential for Flightscope is there; I'm not sure why it spits out so many "incompatible" series of numbers. Just a little frrustrating sometimes...

Does anyone else that has a flightscope seen the same? I would also have to assume setup time could take a little longer since there is no camera or self leveling

I've used both and really like my Flightscope. Setup is no big deal at all, but they are adding a camera (will be at the show later this month). The numbers that I've personally seen have been very consistent with Trackman. However, what I enjoy most about it is it being completely wireless (bluetooth). I can use it on the course or range with my iphone, ipad, or laptop. I just installed the wedge/short game update. Now it will produce numbers on shots as short as 15 yards (although I haven't had the weather to test it out for myself yet).

They're around 9,000. Go to their website to check it out. It does give angle of attack, hsp, vsp, and all that.
I'm especially curious about the shaft loading and acceleration profiles. I'll have to compare it to Fitchip technology to see if it matches, first of all. I learned that clubhead speed can be low, but the player might still need x shafts, and vice versa. A master clubfitter told me that that stuff is like a fingerprint and can't be changed--proved him wrong on the first few swings, but maybe in tournament golf, it's more uniform.
"Measure what matters." - Munger

Status
Not open for further replies.