First Lesson with Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I would post my thoughts about my first lesson. This is really about
what I thought would happen versus what did happen.

I met Brian at the range in Louisville promptly at 8 AM last Wednesday.
It was cold, with a very slight drizzle coming down occasionally. We got
right to it, so to speak.

I thought we would get into a lot of positional analysis, pivot things, posture things. Not so. Brian watched me hit 6 irons. Whipped out his Casio camera and shot me. Then he told me, and showed me what he called the most open clubface he had seen in 4 years. He said we would try two fixes. Twisting on the downswing (couldn't do it) and changing grip to a stronger position. We worked on grip for most of the first hour while hitting 6 irons. He also had me making high fade swings, which he some how knew I could do. He showed me how to stop popping out. Told me to control this with body rather than arms. Starting hitting the ball much better. Then on to the Driver.

Didn't change anything but ball position . I had it way too far back. Instant improvement. He told me that it isn't going right, and if I fail to make correct body motions, it will go left.

We worked some on short game and in a couple of minutes he explained why I was having difficulty ( stance too open and pop-out ).

I am sure he saw many other things he could improve, but he chose to limit the topics. Best golf lesson I have ever experienced, and worth every penny.

Yesterday, I played in my Senior League tournament. Amazing. Irons very crisp, and sometimes with a slight draw. Hit a bunch of greens. Made 2 Birdies, and missed another bird from 4 feet. Had a double-eagle on a downhilll Par 5 to a very uphill green. 210 yard Three hybrid in the hole! Driver went left for first 4 attempts, but I knew what I had done. Then I started making the move correctly and hit it well the rest of the round. Won the long drive hole, and won the 1st Flight.

Conclusion: I am a very happy camper.

Wow! After my lesson with Brian, I did NOT win 1st flight, did NOT win long drive, and I have NEVER had a double eagle.

I better ask Brian for my money back! ;):D

But seriously, very interesting that Brian changed your grip stronger...

Did you do the 2 day package? If so, can you say a little bit about the round of golf. I'm curious what the experience is like and what you gained from it. If other members have done this please join in. Thanks

No, I was trying to coordinate that with another forum member, but we couldn't make it work schedule-wise. I was scheduled for 3 hours, but had to stop at 2 hours due to something that came up with my schedule.

So let me make this comment. My potential sharing member and I exchanged e-mails to get some idea of our relative skill levels. We were somewhat similar in age and skill. He and I both thought that it would not be good if we were far apart in skill.

In retrospect, I am glad that I simply took the lesson. Time goes by fast. If I had only had 1 hour in the morning, before playing the round, it would not have been enough time. Then the hour in the afternoon after the round would be loaded up with all the on course happenings and I would have been tired.

Now after I really get these changes down pat, then the playing session would be excellent. I also think one of the benefits of playing session for some players would be course strategy. I have played for a very long time and think I have a good grasp of strategy, but a newer player would gain a lot of knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.