first things first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok.. I am a firm beleiver in the back of the left hand parallel to the club face. I have forced myself to try it and hit some of the best shots in 20 yrs. Now I have to get comfortable and consistent with the weaker grip. My question is what are some reference points at address to assure the grip is properly aligned. If the left hand is in position correctly, where does the right go? I try to put the right hand in an equally weak position. Would this be right, or should it be in a somewhat stronger position?

BTW I think the time you are wiiilng to give away on this, or any other forum is very commendable. It demonstrates a sincerity that is not common anymore.

The heel pad of the left hand should be on top of the club to encourage proper wrist cock. Get the left thumb on the backside of the shaft. You don't want pressure on top of the shaft.

Put the lifeline of your right hand on your left thumb. Your right trigger finger should be on the same side as the left thumb, the aft side.

IMO the left hand is not really in the weak position, but a neutral one. A weak position would have the left thumb on top of the grip. A neutral position has the thumb on the right side of the grip. I simply put the right hand on top of the left thumb. The left thumb is under the life line of the right hand. This right hand position seems neutral. I align both hands at adress with the fly of my pants.

quote:Originally posted by ragman

The heel pad of the left hand should be on top of the club to encourage proper wrist cock. Get the left thumb on the backside of the shaft. You don't want pressure on top of the shaft.

Put the lifeline of your right hand on your left thumb. Your right trigger finger should be on the same side as the left thumb, the aft side.

WHEN YOU SAY THE "LEFT THUMB ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE SHAFT" I AM ASSUMING YOU WOULD MEAN SLIGHTLY BEHIND THE CENTERLINE OR TOP OF THE SHAFT. NOT 90 DEGREES TO THE TOP.
PROBABLY A STUPID QUESTION BUT....[:p]

GOOD. I KEEP ENDING UP WITH BOTH THUMBS ON TOP OF THE SHAFT AND IT SEEMS LIKE I'M LOSING CONTROL AT THE TOP AND MAKES FOR A PRETTY ROUGH TRANSITION
I'LL MAKE THOSE ADJUSTMENTS.
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

redan

New
Taustin,
Is your right thumb on top of shaft? That's not quite right...should be kissing tip of right index [trigger] finger (look closely at photo of any good grip). Also, you like me are a baby at this. Take baby steps. Hit lil' chips pitches and punches to feel the straight left and bent right. Hit lots of them. I've been doing it since April, and I still primarily hit lil' shots in practice.... On the course my mid and long iron and woods have improved greatly, but tempo and timing can still be suspect....

Status
Not open for further replies.