Fitness for elite golfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested to know what the guys out there who have taught elite golfers think about where fitness fit into the big picture of reaching maximum performance levels. Is it important at all?

Thanks for any input.

Probably something between C and D (Camilo and Daly) will work.

camilo-villegas-espn-body.jpg
john-daly-shirtless-image.jpg

"Importance of Lard"
by Jim McLellan

Yes, Lard, ugly fat, impedimenta, your gut, extra baggage....what would be the most important thing you could do for your golf? . . . learn another "trick" for your already befuddled swing OR drop some baggage? I submit the following for your ponderment.

Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus (in prime), Tiger, David Duval. Think about this...they were all in great shape. Arnie looked like a full back. Sam could pass for a star athlete in any sport. Gary and Ben, tough as nails. Tiger and David workout and eat correctly.....stomachs flat as a table.

Think about this....near greats...Billy Casper, Lee T., Phil M., and many many others who could have been better. What was missing....conditioning. How good do you think Tiger would be with a 42" waist? The diff between the greats and near greats and also rans could have been the amount of lard they were toting. Would Jack have his original hip if he didn't have a weight problem?

"Importance of Lard"
by Jim McLellan

Yes, Lard, ugly fat, impedimenta, your gut, extra baggage....what would be the most important thing you could do for your golf? . . . learn another "trick" for your already befuddled swing OR drop some baggage? I submit the following for your ponderment.

Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus (in prime), Tiger, David Duval. Think about this...they were all in great shape. Arnie looked like a full back. Sam could pass for a star athlete in any sport. Gary and Ben, tough as nails. Tiger and David workout and eat correctly.....stomachs flat as a table.

Think about this....near greats...Billy Casper, Lee T., Phil M., and many many others who could have been better. What was missing....conditioning. How good do you think Tiger would be with a 42" waist? The diff between the greats and near greats and also rans could have been the amount of lard they were toting. Would Jack have his original hip if he didn't have a weight problem?

Jack and Duval were chubby guys who pretended to be thin for a few minutes. The other guys never struggled with weight. I think a lot has to do with one's natural make up and metabolism. Some guys battle with it their whole life, and some don't. I envy the ones who don't and sympathize with the ones who do. :roll eyes:

Fat-Golfers-Ian-Poultier.jpg

4 days of stressful golf, walking up and down hills, all year long--I'd say it matters a fair amount.
Get an Xiser and a club bell and you'll lose the Daly keg and keep Arnie's arms...and ever look at their arms? Most tour pros have awesome arms.

Jack and Duval were chubby guys who pretended to be thin for a few minutes. The other guys never struggled with weight. I think a lot has to do with one's natural make up and metabolism. Some guys battle with it their whole life, and some don't. I envy the ones who don't and sympathize with the ones who do. :roll eyes:

Fat-Golfers-Ian-Poultier.jpg
Tiger? Really? Skin and bones. Hater.

Rory looks dead on Fat Bastard.

Last edited:
Would Villegas play better if he looked more like Fat Bastard? Or would fat Monty have won more if he had been skinny Monty? Who knows...

But my question was more related to wannabee Tour Players, or elite amateurs wanting to take a step up.

Kevin is a sheet hot golfer who has been improved, made worse/misdirected, and has managed to turn it round and get back to a standard in tune with his ability (as far as I know). Did fitness play any part in it Kev?

ZAP

New
Something to be said for not being the least bit tired after playing 18 or even 36. Being more efficient at using oxygen has to be a bit of an advantage when the air gets "thin" at crunch time too. Something about "suffering" in training should make you mentally tougher as well. Just throwing a few ideas out there.

And I just want to thank whoever posted the picture of Camillo. My wife saw it and lets just say it was a good morning this morning.

Would Villegas play better if he looked more like Fat Bastard? Or would fat Monty have won more if he had been skinny Monty? Who knows...

But my question was more related to wannabee Tour Players, or elite amateurs wanting to take a step up.

Kevin is a sheet hot golfer who has been improved, made worse/misdirected, and has managed to turn it round and get back to a standard in tune with his ability (as far as I know). Did fitness play any part in it Kev?

Monty had had periods where he lost weight, but he played worse as a result, as did Darren Clarke, its not so much how they look but more whether they are able to play a round without getting too tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.