Flat left wrist and throw away

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
I have been working on flattening my left wrist on the backswing and then trying to keep it flat coming back down.Will this alone absolutely guarantee against throwaway?

Throwaway is still haunting me after years of this bad habit.Are there any others moves i can try to prevent it?

It should. Flat is Flat. Unless you have some extreme reverse pivot or tilt of the spine to the left where a flat wrist could throw the clubhead up and under the ball- highly unlikely- it should work.

Think of this. If a vertical wall intersects the ball and is perpendicular to the low impact plane line (target line, etc). This wall might intersect your left shoulder or be just be touching it from the outside. The hands (and flat) must bust a hole in the wall before the clubhead does. I know you know this, but it is an image or a describable feel to play with.

EdZ

New
If you 'really' want to prevent throw away, use an Alex Morrison style grip - however clubFACE control is harder with it, clubHEAD control is much easier. A great way to learn what downward compression is like. Down, down, down.

Mike's image is a very good description of the solid left side feel of a proper impact.

Guys, in my case, it has eliminated throw-away (or is going a long way to it)...once, I started working on the flat left wrist at the top, I found I still had to work on it on the way down...I'm in that stage now....when I do it, I get "lag"..and, thus, no throw-away...my fault was thinking just because I got flat at the top, the downswing would take care of itself...it doesn't...I have to work at it...if you get Golf Digest, look on the index page (maybe 6 pages in) and look at the beautiful "flat wrist coming down" position of Tiger Woods..what a great position !!

ej20

New
Thanks 6bee,

Also will bending the left wrist from flat coming down from the top guarantee that throwaway will occur?

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by ej20

I have been working on flattening my left wrist on the backswing and then trying to keep it flat coming back down.Will this alone absolutely guarantee against throwaway?

Throwaway is still haunting me after years of this bad habit.Are there any others moves i can try to prevent it?

Here are some things that might help:

1. The downswing moves Down, Out and Forward. Too much emphasis on the "Forward" can result in throwaway. Direct the force Down . . . Down . . . Down, through the ball and all the way to Low Point. The forward will take care of itself.

2. Thinking the Clubface needs to be "square" to the Target Line at impact. The Clubface is slightly open (steering).

3. Thinking the Clubhead travels "along" the Target Line; it doesn’t.

4. Thinking the Clubhead should travel on a level or upward path into Impact; it doesn’t (see #1, above).

5. No Axis Tilt, causing you to "run out of Right Arm" before the Hands reach Impact Position." Clear your hips and move the Right Shoulder Down the plane.

Good golfing!

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by bgathens

Guys, in my case, it has eliminated throw-away (or is going a long way to it)...once, I started working on the flat left wrist at the top, I found I still had to work on it on the way down...I'm in that stage now....when I do it, I get "lag"..and, thus, no throw-away...my fault was thinking just because I got flat at the top, the downswing would take care of itself...it doesn't...I have to work at it...if you get Golf Digest, look on the index page (maybe 6 pages in) and look at the beautiful "flat wrist coming down" position of Tiger Woods..what a great position !!
Yup i agree.Just getting a flat left wrist at the top doesn't mean you won't bend it coming down.That has been my curse.Brian's twistaway and holding the twist on the downstroke has helped tremendously.But holding the twist still requires effort and has yet to become automatic.When i do get it right,140 yard 7 irons become 165.

Thanks 6bee,

Also will bending the left wrist from flat coming down from the top guarantee that throwaway will occur?

Yes indeed. To keep the integrity of Left Arm Flying Wedge Flying Wedge which is a Flat left wrist that moves only vertical- UP and Down. It can not have any Horizontal movement. Especially a bend to the left.

Yup i agree.Just getting a flat left wrist at the top doesn't mean you won't bend it coming down.That has been my curse.Brian's twistaway and holding the twist on the downstroke has helped tremendously.But holding the twist still requires effort and has yet to become automatic.When i do get it right,140 yard 7 irons become 165.

I like all the points from rwh- good stuff.

I think you might have your brians in the clubhead which causes you to want to hit with "it." Homer says to hit with your hands- your pressure points. If you can stand at address without a club and make a karate chop motion with a flat left wrist from your right shoulder to a straight arm out to the left- you should have no problem keeping a flat left wrist with a club in hand if you keep those karate brains in your hand.

EdZ

New

Thanks 6bee,

extensor action is a very important way to ensure a flat (or IMO slightly arched) left wrist at impact

I almost never see anyone at all at the range with proper extensor action

It GREATLY simplifies the swing.

10-2-B
Extensor action (6-B-1D)
Twist Away - hold the twist

Powerful stuff. Nice wide thin divots and great compression with full right arm extension from the inside. Tons of control.

ej20

New
Yes,good points from rwh as well.I do seem to require a bit more axis tilt although i thought i had enough.

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by 6bee1dee

I think you might have your brians in the clubhead which causes you to want to hit with "it." Homer says to hit with your hands- your pressure points. If you can stand at address without a club and make a karate chop motion with a flat left wrist from your right shoulder to a straight arm out to the left- you should have no problem keeping a flat left wrist with a club in hand if you keep those karate brains in your hand.

Karate Brains !!! I love it.

Seriously, Samurai 6B1D raises a great point: if you can make the motion without a club in hand, you can make it with the club in hand. Practicing these things in front of a mirror with just the hands, or a racquet or a wooden dowel can help.

Hai !

Yes,good points from rwh as well.I do seem to require a bit more axis tilt although i thought i had enough.

I was having trouble yesterday with shots going right although I was working on keeping the FLV left wrist, and using Brian's "twist away". It finally dawned on me that I had reverted to an old, bad habit of lunging with my upper body and getting ahead of the ball. I started to emphasize "pivot don't lunge" and part of that involved adding in a little axis tilt (more like maintaining what I had by turning behind the ball). The results were fantastic. I started hitting some long straight shots including getting on one of our par 5s in two for the first time ever (missed the eagle putt tho [V]).

DDL

New
Also, you must have your hands swinging through with as little loss of speed as possible. Even with the best of intentions of maintaining a flat left wrist, if you hack at the ball and cause significant deceleration prior to impact, the clubhead will overtake the hands.

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by jimmydean

edz,
what exactly is the alex morrison style grip?
thanks,
jimmy:)

He advocated an very strong left hand and a fairly traditional right hand position, such that the hands are 90 degrees to each other. The reason that his grip works better than the modern 'strong' grip is that he kept the left hand in the palm, with the thumb outside the right hand, and used an interlock (an essential if you try this IMO)

His setup process was to stand at 'impact fix' with the left arm and club in a line, back of the left hand facing away (pinky to target), then bump the right knee/hip in and set the right hand - starting from that 'extreme' impact fix.

From a pure anatomy standpoint, this is actually a very efficient grip, although you must learn to 'trust' it. If you try to manipulate the hands at all, you'll be off.

It is an outstanding way to learn hands leading DOWNward contact, ball slightly back.

A completely 'left sided' motion. A pure 'swinging' of the club.

For tempo, he used 'Rockabye Baby' as his tune - very good, try it.

The left thumb is a good 'guide' up to the right shoulder, especially with this grip/setup.

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

quote:Originally posted by jimmydean

edz,
what exactly is the alex morrison style grip?
thanks,
jimmy:)

He advocated an very strong left hand and a fairly traditional right hand position, such that the hands are 90 degrees to each other.

This is also the grip (or close it) prescribed by Adams et al in LAWS for the Width swing.

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by 6bee1dee

I just tried that karate chop motion with a flat left wrist.Yup,it sure does work.I make sure to chop the inside aft of the ball though.

Thanks for that tip 6bee1dee.

Status
Not open for further replies.